sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2022 1:00 pm  #31

Re: Summer ratings

Those numbers are 25-54...there's not much audience left in that space for anyone. A little for music FM, all news, the CBC. They're never coming back...pity. 

September 13, 2022 1:05 pm  #32

TheWiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Here's the latest, A25-54

CHUM 104.5    10.2
boom 97.3     10.0
98.1 CHFI     9.8
KiSS 92.5     9.0
999 Virgin Radio     7.8
CBC Radio One     7.2
Q107     6.2
CityNews680     5.9
Z 1035     5.2
102.1 The Edge     3.6
INDIE 88.1     2.9
Sportsnet 590 The FAN     2.3
News Talk 1010 - CFRB     2.3
FLOW 987      2.2
Classical 96.3 FM     2.1
JAZZ.FM911    1.0
Energy 95-3     1.0
Lite 88.5    0.9
AM640     0.8
93.5 Today Radio    0.8
CBC Music     0.7
TSN 1050    0.5
106.5 Elmnt FM     0.1
ZoomerRadio AM740     0.1

Something doesn't seem right... the FAN and CFRB are tied? Maybe those changes CFRB made last year have caught up with them.

Also, noticed this on the Numeris website:

Effective the start of the 2022-23 broadcast year (August 29, 2022), the Radio Topline Reports will no longer be produced. The final report will encompass the period ending on August 28, 2022.

What does this mean? Are they no longer going to track 12+ numbers? Will ratings not be posted to the website at all?

Check out the numbers in this part of the thread - the 12+ may be the kind of figures you're more used to seeing. It puts stations like CFRB back where you're probably expecting them. 

As for the 12+ numbers from here on in, they'll still be tracking them. They just won't be releasing them to anyone but subscribers.

September 13, 2022 1:10 pm  #33

A 5-share is nothing to write home about. So, I'd say the same about 12+. And that's before we take into account that the 'share of the pie' is more like the 'share of the tart' these days. I ran that place back in the day when the pie was gigantic and we routinely got 14 or 15 share of market. I am well aware that those days are gone but if CBC can be double digits, it begs the question "what are the private talkers doing wrong?"

September 13, 2022 1:35 pm  #34

shurmanator wrote:

A 5-share is nothing to write home about. So, I'd say the same about 12+. And that's before we take into account that the 'share of the pie' is more like the 'share of the tart' these days. I ran that place back in the day when the pie was gigantic and we routinely got 14 or 15 share of market. I am well aware that those days are gone but if CBC can be double digits, it begs the question "what are the private talkers doing wrong?"

Perhaps one of our previous posts has at least part of the answer:

https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=8491

But CBC has a much higher budget for things like producers and staff - with the added bonus of no commercials, ever. That matters.

Plus CBC tends to appeal to a more left leaning audience, especially in a city like Toronto. 

Also, while I fully acknowledge radio itself has changed in the streaming age, CFRB and the rest are now in the greedy maw of companies like Bell Media, which care little about quality and everything about profits and only profits. Small wonder those 14s and 15s have dwindled to 5's and less. T

And finally, the station is on reroll way too often, leaving some of the content very dated. Not a good look for a place that touts itself as "News" Talk. News is only news when it's actually new. 

September 13, 2022 2:45 pm  #35

shurmanator wrote:

I think too often people overlook City News 680.  They get great ratings and are all news/information. 680 also has  lots of commercials and this doesn't seem to hurt their ratings at all.   680 and CBC Radio 1 represents the  majority of people who listen to talk radio.  And if you throw in the two sports stations, this doesn't really leave much for Newstalk 1010 and 640.  A lot of people aren't always interested in opinion radio, and that's what these two talk stations are.  Apparently John Moore does very well in the mornings on 1010, but the rest of the day not so much. 

CBC radio has the advantage of more time and the ability to get into more detail on some topics.  They have shows that specialize more on issues, eg. Cross Canada Check Up, As it Happens, The House, Q, The Current, Tapestry, What on Earth, etc. Private radio doesn't have many programs like this anymore and have opted for opinion and a narrower variety of topics that they discuss.  CBC radio is programmed to appeal to an educated listener and this is likely who tunes in. 

Maybe it's me but I have also noticed that both 1010 and 640 aren't going to the phones as much for listener comments, and when they do it is often near the end of the segment.  

September 13, 2022 3:14 pm  #36

The one thing I will say about CityNews 680 is that they're very clever with their spot load. You rarely get more than two commercials in a row before something else comes on that's actual content - whether it's tomorrow's gas prices, a check on traffic and weather, a pause before business or some other scheduled break on their news wheel. 

True or not, it makes it feel like there are fewer spots simply because they're not all clustered together. I tune in every now and then, and knowing that we're not going into a 5-minute spot break makes it more likely I'll stay tuned for the extra minute to get the feature I want to hear (in my case, usually the weather.) 

The other guys, when they go, they seem to be gone forever. And before they come back, I'm generally gone, too.