sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2016 2:13 pm  #1

McCown jokes about the competetion...

The other day I was watching Bob McCown talking about the Grey Cup game coming up next month in Toronto.

What ??....you didn't know that ???

Anywaaaaaaaay he was pretty much dissing the game and the promotion and the ticket prices (they've been lowered btw) and the venue and the...you get the hint...he was off and running....on a tangent...and took no prisoners....

So he asks his producer if TSN has bought any time on HIS show to promote the upcoming contest...

WHAT ???? I think we know the answer to that one Bob...

When his producer made it very clear to him that no they have not....he couldn't understand why not...and then he suggested that HE could reach more people by standing atop a 2 story building in downtown Toronto with a megaphone...more people than TSN radio....

Now if I don't take my medicine I'm a lot like Old Codger...I seldom laugh anymore...it hurts too much....but that had me laughing...

And hearing that remark co-host Damien Cox took great effort to not fall off his chair to the embarrassment of TSN sports radio Toronto...

October 29, 2016 10:28 pm  #2

Re: McCown jokes about the competetion...

Charlie wrote:

Talk radio is repetitive, but sports talk radio is repetitive and unimportant.

The chatter in-between games that they have available to cover on TSN 1050/1150 blurbs the fact that there is no dead air. The actual games are where the money is. (hopefully)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 30, 2016 1:48 pm  #3

I've always found McCown too pompous. 

I'll take Hayes, Noodles & O'Dog any day of the week.

Last edited by g121 (October 30, 2016 1:48 pm)

October 31, 2016 10:12 am  #4

g121 wrote:

I've always found McCown too pompous. 

I'll take Hayes, Noodles & O'Dog any day of the week.

The pomposity 'thing' is part of Bob's schtick.  I do agree that H, N and the O'D do a great job.  But McCown is firmly entrenched.  Don't mess with 'it' and 'it' wins ultimately...even when something just as good...or even better...comes along.  When Bob is off, as he ever so often is, except for Elliott, his fill-in HOSTS are all pretty much tiny in talent.  Just sitting in his time slot gives them instant cred.  But the day Bob retires is the day that will begin to slip and the day that TSN radio might have a chance at competing.  The fact that Bell owns them is the only thing that'll hold them back. 

Last edited by Old Codger (October 31, 2016 10:14 am)

October 31, 2016 1:04 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

The only sports show I actually tune in to is Jim Rome online.  Even then, I only listen to the first 20 minutes or so, and get the jist.  Talk radio is repetitive, but sports talk radio is repetitive and unimportant.

1. Some of us listen to sports exactly because they're unimportant. I don't listen to regular talk much because I don't like arguments among the mis-and-ill-informed, but at least with sports having a dumb take on the Leafs isn't going to get anyone hurt. Political speech, on the other hand, can have serious consequences. I don't think I have to explain further here, do I?

2. If you're only going to listen to one sports program, why would you listen to Mr Staccato Schtick Himself? Jim Rome is possibly the worst among a very bad few of the national and/or syndicated show types. All inside jokes, all about pumping Jimmy's tires. Ew.

Last edited by verger (October 31, 2016 1:05 pm)