sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2022 5:54 pm  #1

WABC Radio Special: Cousin Brucie Recreates The Beatles In NYC On Wed.

It's not the usual programming for a talk radio station, but it is a legendary occasion. On Wednesday afternoon, WABC will put the political spiel on hold for a special about the day the Beatles first landed in New York City and took up residence in one of the hotels there. 

If you've ever heard the tapes from those days, it was simply incredible. Thousands of fans (mostly teenage girls from the sounds of the screaming) gathering on the street below to cheer on the Fab Four, as WABC - then the biggest rock station in the world - also took a room in the same inn and broadcast live from there for days. 

There is a remarkable moment when I think it was DJ Scott Muni asks the crowd listening on their transistor radios to sing the WABC jingle - and the voices of thousands of people do exactly that, being caught on the station's mics. 

I'm assuming that and more will be in the special which is hosted by one of the "All Americans" who was in that suite that day - Cousin Bruce. The special airs at 2 PM Wednesday and can be heard online. Hopefully, they'll also podcast it for those who can't listen as it airs. 

WABC/770 and Cousin Brucie revisit Beatlemania in special program

September 6, 2022 7:09 pm  #2

Re: WABC Radio Special: Cousin Brucie Recreates The Beatles In NYC On Wed.

September 7, 2022 2:08 pm  #3

No idea what happened to it, but the Newsday article said the special would air Wednesday at 2 PM. I tuned in online and it wasn't there. I'm hoping whenever it airs, they will eventually podcast it as well.

I probably should have known. Wednesday at 2 PM seemed like an odd time for this. Perhaps they meant Saturday? Either way, there's nothing on the station's website about it. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 7, 2022 2:13 pm)

September 7, 2022 8:39 pm  #4

For an 86-year-old, Cousin Bruce Morrow looks amazing. I'd like to look that good even when I reach my 70s! (Although I'm not in any rush to get anywhere near there!) Still, I'm pretty sure that in the included video, that has to be a hairpiece. 

One of the legends still on the air in his mid-80s. Incredible. 

WABC Turns 100