sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2022 8:24 am  #1

What Is Taking Corus So Long To Name Derringer's Replacement?

It was late May that Jennifer Valentyne delivered her courageous "there is never a wrong time to do the right thing" video that eventually led to the end of Q107 host John Derringer's career. Within days, the longtime morning man had been suspended, then investigated and finally, by August 9th, fired outright.

It's now been almost a full month since his dismissal, but surely Corus was aware back in at least June that it would be impossible for him to return to the show. If you accept that calendar of events, they've had nearly four months to find someone to take his place on the most important shift in all of radio.

Usually, the end of Labour Day marks a new start for everyone. I honestly wondered if they might make their big announcement by now - you know, new season, new mornings on Q107. But still, nothing. 

I'm not sure who's doing mornings now on Q - their website lists their show hosts starting at 10 AM. But you'd think given the importance of that daypart that they might have found someone by now. Maybe there are non-compete issues or perhaps they're just being extra careful in finding the right person, but how long can you go with a de facto "guest host" that you can't really promote in advertising in such a vital timeslot? 

What could be taking them so long?

September 6, 2022 10:05 am  #2

Re: What Is Taking Corus So Long To Name Derringer's Replacement?

My guess is they are waiting to see what the investigation says to determine if the co-hosts John and Ryan I believe they were can come back. The assumption is Q wants to keep them on air but they don’t want to commit in case the investigation doesn’t look favourably on them as well.
So my best guess is they will not announce a new show until after the investigation is over.

September 6, 2022 11:32 am  #3

You could be right. But Corus has many stations out west and I would be very surprised if they can't pick someone (and maybe they already have) from that talent pool who would be happy to transfer to the #1 market in Canada. We just don't know who that is yet.

I can't help but wonder, though, if keeping Derringer's former co-hosts around might just remind people of him - the very last thing Corus wants to do. I don't know those gentlemen and if they're innocent in all this, it's a shame they got caught up in this mess. But it may be guilt by association and I'm not sure the company wants any reminders of what came before. 

September 6, 2022 12:26 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

You could be right. But Corus has many stations out west and I would be very surprised if they can't pick someone (and maybe they already have) from that talent pool who would be happy to transfer to the #1 market in Canada. We just don't know who that is yet. 

You'd think, but unfortunately radio is destroying its own pipeline. Next similar station is ROCK 101 Vancouver, whose morning host (Willie) has spent almost his entire career in the market and is likely close to retirement. Q107 Calgary? Oh, it's Willie. Edmonton? Willie. And so-on and so-forth for other markets and dayparts.

September 6, 2022 3:14 pm  #5

As I've said before, perhaps the short term solution is to move Taz and Jim to Q 107. 
Going local or keeping it national is another debate worth the discussion, maybe... 

(Taz & Jim are currently on both Y 108 Hamilton & FM 96 Kingston)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 6, 2022 3:36 pm  #6

In a parallel universe, Jay Michaels would be a perfect fit for the morning show at Q107.

Having read numerous newspaper articles and tweets over the past few months about how unfriendly and downright hostile the Quebec landscape has become to Anglophone Canadians, I wonder if Jay might end up back in Toronto at some point.

East coast folks have a reputation as the friendliest people in the world, and having lived there for eight years, it's deserved. And growing up on the West Island in Quebec I can also attest to the unpleasant experiences English speaking citizens regularly encounter.

Jay sounds great on CHOM and has made the morning show his own but I can't see someone as affable and pleasant as Jay being willing to stay on in a city where he and his wife are treated by the majority of the population as unwelcome intruders.

September 6, 2022 4:25 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

Jay sounds great on CHOM and has made the morning show his own but I can't see someone as affable and pleasant as Jay being willing to stay on in a city where he and his wife are treated by the majority of the population as unwelcome intruders.

Maybe Jay is bilingual? Being bilingual is all you need to be when in Quebec.  

September 6, 2022 4:29 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

In a parallel universe, Jay Michaels would be a perfect fit for the morning show at Q107.

Having read numerous newspaper articles and tweets over the past few months about how unfriendly and downright hostile the Quebec landscape has become to Anglophone Canadians, I wonder if Jay might end up back in Toronto at some point.

East coast folks have a reputation as the friendliest people in the world, and having lived there for eight years, it's deserved. And growing up on the West Island in Quebec I can also attest to the unpleasant experiences English speaking citizens regularly encounter.

That show is great, and from what I've seen the listeners are reacting well.

T&J just aren't the right guys. If you have to have an interim period, Q is doing it right. Familiar solo hosts and lots of music.

September 6, 2022 4:29 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

(Taz & Jim are currently on both Y 108 Hamilton & FM 96 Kingston)

...London

September 6, 2022 5:01 pm  #10

BIG 107.1?

September 6, 2022 5:07 pm  #11

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG 107.1?

No. They already tried that (minus the name.) They're in good shape now.

September 6, 2022 5:09 pm  #12

Mr.Aldred wrote:

BIG 107.1?

Nope. Corrected. London, not Kingston. 
London's station is still simply identified as FM 96.