sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2022 9:37 pm  #1

Bell Gobbles Up Another Competitor, Claims It's Good For Competition

You have to wonder how stupid some executives think the public really is. We've already heard Rogers tell government officials that its bid for Shaw will "encourage competition." 

Now Bell has announced it's purchased Distributel, an Internet and phone provider. The deal is pending official approval, but I'm fairly sure it's a fait accompli. 

But here's the part that will have you rolling your eyes. The CEO of Distributel is a guy who helped form CNOC, a group dedicated to encouraging competition in the telecom industry. In the press release announcing this deal, he actually has the hypocritical nerve to claim this will help boost competitiveness in the industry by leveraging Bell's resources.

Anyone buying that? 

And the choices get fewer and fewer...

Bell to acquire Distributel, a major independent network service provider

September 4, 2022 12:59 am  #2

Re: Bell Gobbles Up Another Competitor, Claims It's Good For Competition

This pretty much wipes out the little guys now.
Next stop: Teksavy.  Who's buying them?
Not long before all the little guys are gone and it really is just the big 4 to choose from (Rogers, Bell, Telus and Quebecor)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 4, 2022 11:19 am  #3

Distributel bought Canadian independent operator/competitor Primus back in January 2021, so this is a size able acquisition for Bell.  I guess it will probably mean the end to the Primus kiosk stands as you make your way out of Costco...

Last September, Rogers bought Hamilton independent Clearcable networks... which operates as a very reliable business / enterprise focused network service provider....  previously, Rogers had bought out some of the smaller local ISP which were primarily serviced by Clearcable...  

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 4, 2022 11:19 am)

September 4, 2022 11:35 am  #4

This brings to mind a time when one of the big banks closed their location in a shopping mall I once lived near.  I was particularly amused by the sign on the window that read,

"To serve you better, this location is closed."

Last edited by Peter the K (September 4, 2022 11:35 am)

September 6, 2022 4:16 pm  #5

The propaganda war about how less is more for consumers goes on, with this little nugget from the head of Distributel, soon to be in Bell's greedy maw. 

"Distributel CEO Stein said consolidation in the sector has been going on for years, noting that Distributel itself bought a number of ISPs in the past decade. He added the company would continue to operate and be run independently of Bell. “We’re not going away,” he said."

Hands up those who believe that last claim. Bueller? Bueller? Instead, I would suggest it's far more likely that "CEO Stein" will be the one who is going away and likely sooner than later. It's amazing how stupid they think the public is, especially when we've all seen this movie before.  

Bell’s acquisition of Distributel a death blow to ISP competition: consumer advocate

September 6, 2022 4:28 pm  #6

Do we know if Mr. Stein has grey hair or not?

September 6, 2022 5:21 pm  #7

Glen Warren wrote:

Do we know if Mr. Stein has grey hair or not?

Not yet, but I'm betting he might when Bell is done with him. 

September 6, 2022 5:54 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The propaganda war about how less is more for consumers goes on, with this little nugget from the head of Distributel, soon to be in Bell's greedy maw. 

"Distributel CEO Stein said consolidation in the sector has been going on for years, noting that Distributel itself bought a number of ISPs in the past decade. He added the company would continue to operate and be run independently of Bell. “We’re not going away,” he said."

Hands up those who believe that last claim. Bueller? Bueller? Instead, I would suggest it's far more likely that "CEO Stein" will be the one who is going away and likely sooner than later. It's amazing how stupid they think the public is, especially when we've all seen this movie before.  

Bell’s acquisition of Distributel a death blow to ISP competition: consumer advocate

Kinda reminds me of when Microcell was sold to Rogers. 
Fido really is still around and operating as a separate company, even though Rogers owns them.
(example: You can not combine a cable bill or Rogers Ignite bill with a Fido bill into one bill) 

It will be very interesting to see what Bell decides to do with Primus service.
I don't doubt for a second that Lucky Mobile will be rebranded as Primus. 
THAT
or maybe they'll terminate Virgin and replace that with a Primus cell service... (?)

September 6, 2022 6:06 pm  #9

Peter the K wrote:

This brings to mind a time when one of the big banks closed their location in a shopping mall I once lived near.  I was particularly amused by the sign on the window that read,

"To serve you better, this location is closed."

I'm starting to understand how the average Soviet felt. 

September 6, 2022 6:29 pm  #10

It's going to be very interesting with Primus Wireless. Their website, except for colours and Business and Wholesale Tabs, is virtually identical to Zoomer Wireless and Cityfone (which operates Zoomer Wireless). All 3 claim to be in Burnaby BC and all 3 use the Rogers Wireless Network.

September 6, 2022 11:13 pm  #11

The Weed wrote:

It's going to be very interesting with Primus Wireless. Their website, except for colours and Business and Wholesale Tabs, is virtually identical to Zoomer Wireless and Cityfone (which operates Zoomer Wireless). All 3 claim to be in Burnaby BC and all 3 use the Rogers Wireless Network.

In markets where Bell and Rogers towers exist, maybe it'll be a smooth transition from Rogers networking over to Bell.
Unless there are contracts with Rogers that can not be ignored or broken without penalty.

Otherwise, if there are markets with no Bell service, Rogers will most likely continue to be the Towers used.

September 7, 2022 11:49 am  #12

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but wouldn't everyone on Primus>Rogers need a new SIM card to be switched to the Bell network? I'm assuming all the phones would be unlocked.

September 7, 2022 12:15 pm  #13

The Weed wrote:

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but wouldn't everyone on Primus>Rogers need a new SIM card to be switched to the Bell network? I'm assuming all the phones would be unlocked.

It would be great if life could be that simple. However, if Rogers has a contract with Primus, Bell would have to pay it off in full before anything further can be done. 
(riding out the current contracted arrangement may be what Bell might do if the end is near...)