sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2022 11:11 pm  #1

Omar Sachedina Talks About LaFlamme, As He Starts New CTV Anchor Role

It was an odd beginning for Omar Sachedina, now the new face of CTV News. He officially took over on Labour Day night from Lisa LaFlamme, whose firing created a major controversy that has yet to die down. 

His first words on the newscast appeared to take the issue into account, even though he made no direct reference to what happened in the past few weeks. 

"Good evening everyone," he began, "I want to begin tonight's broadcast by thanking you for tuning in. It is a tremendous honour to be here with you." And with that, his new career officially started. 

Omar is a good guy. But I can't help but wonder if people will resent him for taking LaFlamme's place, even if he had nothing to do with the decision. 

Ask anyone who's ever had to replace a beloved host on radio, especially a morning man, and it's a tough gig to be the new guy or gal, especially at the beginning. I wish him luck. He may need it as this story, while cooling a bit, still isn't over.

September 5, 2022 11:40 pm  #2

Re: Omar Sachedina Talks About LaFlamme, As He Starts New CTV Anchor Role

Sachedina actually did fully and finally address the story at the very end of his first newscast, even mentioning his predecessor and thanking her for her inspiration. He talked about the past few weeks and his own background, before finally acknowledging the elephant in the newsroom. 

"Half a century after my parents were expelled from Uganda and were welcomed by compassionate and generous Canadians from coast to coast to coast, starting this journey with you tonight means a great deal to me. And it validates the promise of possibility.

"But I'm just one part of a tireless team determined to share stories with you about what matters to Canadians and brings us together. Our mission is to do that objectively, with balance and with different perspectives.

"Finally, it is important for me to acknowledge the inspiration and mentor that Lisa LaFlamme has been to me over the years. Lisa, thank you for everything. Like many of you, I really wish Lisa's goodbye could have been from here [the news anchor desk.]

"I know welcoming me into your homes every night is not a right - it's a privilege. I will work hard with our team to earn and build your trust for that continued privilege. That is my commitment to you. And that is OUR commitment to you."

September 6, 2022 7:49 am  #3

I thought Omar did a good job last night.  For him that first broadcast was under very difficult circumstances. In fact he is going to be under the microscope for the next while, but last night he handled everything well.  I thought both his opening and especially what he said at the end of the newscast was appropriate. 

None of this has been his doing, so I am thinking that people will give him some slack and focus their continued wrath and disapproval with Bell/CTV and not the anchor.  

September 6, 2022 9:55 am  #4

If you missed his first show, here's his intro and the final segment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0y7UOENFwg

September 6, 2022 1:01 pm  #5

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1566992671826116608?t=Kzl8Ab3g8R567u8HZG5QlQ&s=19

the replies from people below this tweet regarding Omar's words in the clip tell Bell Media and Omar they both failed to meet the challenge of respecting the public upset and instead fueled it with more PR speak

Last edited by betaylored (September 6, 2022 1:02 pm)