sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2016 4:33 pm  #1

How Do You Say “Toronto” On Toronto Airwaves?

This article in Billboard points out something about radio that’s not discussed often enough – how to train newcomers to your city (and not just your station) in the nuances of being able to properly pronounce the sometimes deceptive names of local landmarks, streets and people.

Live and Local Isn't Enough: Radio Personalities Have to Sound That Way, Too

There’s nothing worse than hearing a supposedly professional host get the name of a well known person, place or thing wrong on air. There are several in Toronto and the surrounding area that I can think of that I’ve heard new-to-the-market on-air types mess up, not because they’re stupid, but just because no one’s ever told them that the obvious pronunciation is wrong.

Among them:

-Balliol St.
This may be the most commonly mis-announced name of a road, even for those who live here.

-Spadina Road
Yeah, technically maybe it should be Spadeena, but no one here says it that way.

-Port Dalhousie
It’s not like the university out east.

-Yonge St.
Believe it or not, I once heard an obvious newbie say it as “Yun-ge” St.

And finally:

-Toronto
True, there is a second letter “t” in the word, but I’ve yet to really hear a local say it that way. Only out of town sport announcers seem to also emphasize that last consonant.

I’m sure there are a lot more of these “I’m new in town. How do you say this?” examples, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind for me.

October 26, 2016 5:22 pm  #2

Re: How Do You Say “Toronto” On Toronto Airwaves?

I am of the view on some words like Toronto, you have to say it as the locals do, not how the Queen's english demands.

Same goes for Spadina. etc.

Years ago I would say Radio and TV should lead by example, but it's been proven people connect better to people who speak like they do. When in Toronto, speak like Toronto does.   Most people in Toronto, do not emphasize the 2nd T, and people know when you are from out of town when you do say it with the 2nd T.

This reminds me of CKPC in Brantford, where the locals all say "Brantferd" instead of BRANT-FORD.  The owner at the time was very anal about this and required everyone on air to say BRANT-FORD.   The issue is to me, I have yet to meet anyone who says it BRANT-FORD and that makes the station sound disconnected from it's listeners/local area in my view.

Last edited by radiokid (October 26, 2016 5:27 pm)

October 26, 2016 5:42 pm  #3

I just thought of another one that happens once in a while. Etobicoke, where the last part of the word is pronounced like the cola soft drink. 

October 26, 2016 7:27 pm  #4

Strachan Avenue...

October 26, 2016 9:01 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

-Port Dalhousie
It’s not like the university out east.

That is correct !!

I got caught on this one my first week working in St Catharines...

October 26, 2016 9:53 pm  #6

I remember reading once that we have no way of knowing how Sir George Yonge, who the street was named for, pronounced his name.  It could have been YUNJ, for all we know.

October 26, 2016 11:03 pm  #7

Breadalbane, man. Breadalbane.

October 27, 2016 8:57 am  #8

Glen Warren wrote:

Strachan Avenue...

Yes, it annoys me that Google Maps says Strack-an and not Stron.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (October 27, 2016 8:57 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 27, 2016 12:23 pm  #9

Not sure what you mean by "local".

I moved here from Montreal in '92 and I have always pronounced both "T"s in Toronto.
Given that a full 50% of Toronto residents are foreign born, never mind including those originating from other parts of Ontario or Canada, I doubt that the majority pronounce it "Toronna". So I suggest this instance would be a non-issue.

Last edited by Justalistener (October 27, 2016 12:25 pm)

October 27, 2016 12:56 pm  #10

grilled.cheese wrote:

"the six"

Centre of the universe

October 27, 2016 2:09 pm  #11

Justalistener wrote:

I moved here from Montreal in '92 and I have always pronounced both "T"s in Toronto.
Given that a full 50% of Toronto residents are foreign born, never mind including those originating from other parts of Ontario or Canada, I doubt that the majority pronounce it "Toronna". So I suggest this instance would be a non-issue.

I suppose it's just a tell as to whether you're a Toronto-born native or not. Just like you really had to grow up here to know why the coming of the CNE is both exciting for a kid - and incredibly depressing. (It means school is just around the corner and if you came here as an older teen or as an adult, I suspect that feeling of dread is either absent or not quite so strong.)

There's one other thing that always intrigues me. If you've ever listened to Vinney White's Sunday show on CFRB, he always says something that sounds strange to these ears. When he gives the call in number he always says "You can reach us on 872-1010." North Americans traditionally say "You can call us at 870-1010." Only those from across the pond would use "on." It's a small thing, but for some reason it's something that always stands out to me. 

October 27, 2016 7:13 pm  #12

Eglinton has but one "G"...

October 28, 2016 10:11 am  #13

Justalistener wrote:

I'm with Ben Affleck and the CIA agent who consulted on Argo, who said that pronouncing the second "T" is something native Torontonians tend not to do (unless they're going out of their way to pronounce it "correctly" for some specific reason).

If I'm in New York, and I hear you refer to Houston Street with the same pronunciation as the city in Texas, I know you're not from New York.

October 28, 2016 11:37 am  #14

I once heard someone back in the 90s murder Roncesvalles in a way only equaled, in terms of mayhem inflicted upon a name, by the great Spider Jones attempted pronunciation of tennis great Arantxa Sánchez Vicario.

October 30, 2016 2:40 pm  #15

I always say: There is no TOE in Tronno.

Last edited by StevieB (October 30, 2016 2:40 pm)

I am Here, just not all there.