sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2022 12:21 am  #1

CKVR Barrie tower lights now in red

Just noticed today on the way home from the cottage the CKVR tower lights are now glowing an on/off red and the white strobe during the day.  New rules in place for lighting? It seems they had many issues with the lighting system in general as countless times only one strobe would sometimes work and the rest of the tower was in the dark so I’m thinking the whole thing got revamped.

May 9, 2022 7:30 am  #2

Re: CKVR Barrie tower lights now in red

Could be new rules/regs... used to be that CKVR and Peterborough's CHEX, to name a couple, as well as Kingston's CKWS post-ice storm, would continue to use their strobes at night, but dimmed, and on for about a quarter-second per flash. My wife & I recently drove by the four tall and top-hatted towers of co-owned radio station CFRA Ottawa a few times, while driving Hwy 416, and their current setup is similar - white strobes during the day, and red LEDs at night, all flashing in unison.

Here in Renfrew, same thing on Cogeco's little ex-microwave tower at the Pinnacle "tower farm", as well as a taller tower on Thompson Hill to the south - daytime strobe, nighttime LED(s).

September 2, 2022 1:20 pm  #3

The Global tower in Muskoka (Bala) is now the same ordeal - white strobes and flashing reds at night.   Must be new rules and tower lights are getting swapped.  

September 2, 2022 1:26 pm  #4

It also could be an issue with the strobes currently (bulb burned out, or equipment issue)  I have seen this before where REDS are the backup, while strobes are the normal.   There is also cases, where the strobes are day time only.   I'm sure there is a reason be it rule changes, or technical issue.   

September 2, 2022 1:28 pm  #5

Radio tower lights can a problem in the strangest of places.

Lights atop Kelowna radio towers dimmed after complaints from across the lake

September 2, 2022 1:36 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

The Global tower in Muskoka (Bala) is now the same 

Sam Roberts Band plays the Kee tonight; see you there