sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2022 8:48 am  #1

Something You Rarely Hear On Radio: A Discussion About Radio

I was out walking the dog Wednesday morning, and stumbled on a great discussion that you almost never hear on radio - two old pros talking about radio. It was on the Mike Richards Show on Sauga960, interviewing guest Jeff Lumby, a long-time radio veteran (some here may remember him as an interim host on The Fan morning show, although he's since moved to France and does a podcast about that experience.)

The pair began talking about Moffat, a radio company that was well known to people who lived or worked out west, but never really got into the eastern part of the country. They were both recalling the days when a station owner was often a family - not a giant faceless corporation - that actually cared about its product and took pains to nurture new talent. Moffat was one of those, as was CHUM with the Waters family. 

They made the point that in those days, content came first. And if the content was good enough, the money would soon follow. In fact, the better the on-air personalities, the higher the profits became. And they noted how sad it was that it seems to have turned into the exact opposite now, where money comes first and talent and content really don't matter. 

I love the fact that they both instinctively knew that quality leads to profit and not the other way around. 

But with the Bells, Rogers and Corus-es in charge of way too many stations across the country, that philosophy is as extinct as the dinosaurs who used to work at those Moffat stations. 

They also talked about cart machines, equipment, the stations they worked at (apparently CHAB Moose Jaw was a terrific and very adventurous place to be - who knew?) and the famous names who worked at some of those places, including Gerry Forbes and others. 

Nothing really revelatory in it, but it sure was fun to listen to two old vets reminiscence about an industry they knew - and maybe don't really recognize anymore.

I know Mike Richards is a SOWNY member and occasionally posts here. So I'd like to thank him for that walk down memory lane while my dog was having his own walk down my lane. It was a lot of fun to listen to, especially when radio so rarely talks about itself. 

August 31, 2022 9:40 am  #2

Re: Something You Rarely Hear On Radio: A Discussion About Radio

There's a woman named Rollye James who regularly mentions radio on her show on WGN Chicago. She's on Monday-Friday from 11 p.m.-2 a.m. ET. She even has her own radio station dedicated to obscure oldies.

http://www.rollye.net/

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 31, 2022 9:55 am  #3

I think Art Bell used to have Rollye as an occasional fill in host if I recall correctly. 

Last edited by mic'em (August 31, 2022 9:57 am)

August 31, 2022 9:57 am  #4

I'm a big fan of Rollye James when she gets into the radio and trivia stuff. I used to listen to her all the time when she was doing overnights on WPHT in Philadelphia. I still remember her infamous intro - a deep throated announcer would say "You're listening to Rollye James in the Middle Of The Damn Night Show." Hilarious. 

Don't think she still does it, but she used to do a special Turkey Countdown every U.S. Thanksgiving Eve, where she would play the top 20 or so worst Top 40 records ever made, compiled by herself and with the vote of listeners. It was great.

August 31, 2022 11:34 am  #5

Hey, here is our conversation about radio from this morning... Always appreciate Jeff Lumby's knowledgeable take on the industry.. Thanks RadioActive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ug3EnOKnhY

August 31, 2022 11:48 am  #6

Appreciate the link, because I tuned in partway through. I'll be listening to the whole thing. Thanks!

August 31, 2022 12:02 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I was out walking the dog Wednesday morning, and stumbled on a great discussion that you almost never hear on radio - two old pros talking about radio. It was on the Mike Richards Show on Sauga960, interviewing guest Jeff Lumby, a long-time radio veteran (some here may remember him as an interim host on The Fan morning show, although he's since moved to France and does a podcast about that experience.)

The pair began talking about Moffat, a radio company that was well known to people who lived or worked out west, but never really got into the eastern part of the country. They were both recalling the days when a station owner was often a family - not a giant faceless corporation - that actually cared about its product and took pains to nurture new talent. Moffat was one of those, as was CHUM with the Waters family. 

They made the point that in those days, content came first. And if the content was good enough, the money would soon follow. In fact, the better the on-air personalities, the higher the profits became. And they noted how sad it was that it seems to have turned into the exact opposite now, where money comes first and talent and content really don't matter. 

I love the fact that they both instinctively knew that quality leads to profit and not the other way around. 

But with the Bells, Rogers and Corus-es in charge of way too many stations across the country, that philosophy is as extinct as the dinosaurs who used to work at those Moffat stations.

I worked for Moffat (CHED Edmonton) in the ‘60s and Rogers (first time around at CFTR Toronto) in the ‘70s.
Moffat, family-owned, is no more but Rogers is still controlled by the original family, it’s just gotten
a hell of a lot bigger. Worth mentioning, maybe, that both companies had similar beginnings and had the
same feel at the time.

August 31, 2022 12:58 pm  #8

Mike Richards wrote:

Hey, here is our conversation about radio from this morning... Always appreciate Jeff Lumby's knowledgeable take on the industry.. Thanks RadioActive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ug3EnOKnhY 

In listening to the new segment, I also discovered another one from last week, in which Mike & Jeff tear apart Bell Media, not only for what they did to Lisa LaFlamme, but also to Jim Richards and the entire 1010 newsroom and discuss how the company is destroying radio in Canada as we know it.

The host also recalls how he got cut by the bean counters at Bell and why so many others being dismissed for no reason over the past few years inevitably led to LaFlamme's sudden firing.

Also worth a listen. 

https://youtu.be/S_i413SbZ-8