sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2022 7:54 pm  #1

Environment Canada Radio

It's a little stormy around London tonight, so I put on the weather radio. It's been a couple of months and I notice they now have a new robotic voice. It's a female voice. She sounds hot.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 29, 2022 8:23 pm  #2

Re: Environment Canada Radio

I have only one radio that gets Weather Radio Canada and haven't turned it on in years and years. The Toronto frequency is at 162.400, but you need a receiver that can get it to hear the "station." 

There are outlets all over the province but I was actually surprised to discover there are a few select places where it's broadcast on FM. Algonquin Park has three of them. Bruce Peninsula Park is another. And the last one is a bit unexpected, at least to me - Parry Sound, where it can be heard on 88.9.

Weather Radio Canada: Ontario Network

August 29, 2022 8:40 pm  #3

In the past year, Environment Canada has begun the process of "decommissioning" the network of weather stations. They say cell phones have renderred the stations obsolete.

My phone is on the kitchen wall. I still use the radio.

In Florida a couple of years ago,. the weather radio may have saved our lives. We got to shelter just as the tornado struck.

August 30, 2022 11:06 am  #4

Where is the antenna for it on the CN Tower?  I had an older Mercedes once that had a WB button on the radio and CH2 was the Toronto one for weather radio.   It was neat to hear.  

August 30, 2022 11:10 am  #5

I would bet it's at the airport.

August 30, 2022 11:18 am  #6

https://youtu.be/LyaeSMV_zM4

Always said cn tower when I heard it

August 30, 2022 11:46 am  #7

That is what the excerpt you posted said. My question: how in God's name can a service that's supposed to warn you about severe weather get interrupted from its mission by severe weather? That was one of the strangest announcements I've ever heard!

August 30, 2022 1:08 pm  #8

markow202 wrote:

https://youtu.be/LyaeSMV_zM4

Always said cn tower when I heard it

Thanks for the clarification.