sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2022 4:39 pm  #2

August 26, 2022 12:27 am  #3

Re: Julie Adam

She ended a lot of careers in smaller market stations that were gutted after she outsmarted herself with her infamous cottage phone call where she fired Erin Davis and tanked CHFI's ratings.  She also drove the original Kiss 92 success into the ground by going more urban which resulted in a ratings nosedive and format flip that brought us the Jack FM failure which went on and on and on for years before Kiss finally returned.  How she survived those colossal blunders I will never know.  Having to undo the biggest decisions of your career because they were so ill-conceived would get most people fired. 

August 26, 2022 9:37 am  #4

The survival skills of this woman are unparalleled...this may very well be the best example of executive privilege I've ever seen...her track record of blundered decisions are epic in scale...I'm surprised she isn't managing a radio cluster in Timmins, Cornwall or Red Deer never mind continual promotions and board seats...

August 26, 2022 5:14 pm  #5

Johnny B wrote:

The survival skills of this woman are unparalleled...this may very well be the best example of executive privilege I've ever seen...her track record of blundered decisions are epic in scale...I'm surprised she isn't managing a radio cluster in Timmins, Cornwall or Red Deer never mind continual promotions and board seats...

August 26, 2022 6:56 pm  #6

Mr.Aldred wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

bold type but no bold words?

Last edited by betaylored (August 26, 2022 7:03 pm)

August 26, 2022 7:30 pm  #7

Time for some pure speculation.  
Is she going over to CTV?  https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=8388 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 8, 2023 2:32 pm  #8

Love her or hate her, she has a new gig.

Julie Adam joins Universal Music Canada

March 10, 2023 3:37 pm  #9

And let's not forget.  She stated out as my weekend op my second time around at Q-107.  Strange; but true.

Last edited by John D (March 10, 2023 3:38 pm)

March 10, 2023 3:44 pm  #10

John D wrote:

And let's not forget.  She stated out as my weekend op my second time around at Q-107.  Strange; but true.

Wow, I had no idea. That was back in the day when they still had board ops. Do those positions still exist at music formatted stations? Maybe on morning and afternoon drive. But with all the automation in place, I would think that's a dying profession. 

I also started as a board op at around 16 years of age. I learned more doing that in a few weeks than all the years I would later spend at Ryerson's RTA course!

March 10, 2023 4:46 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

John D wrote:

Wow, I had no idea. That was back in the day when they still had board ops. Do those positions still exist at music formatted stations? Maybe on morning and afternoon drive. But with all the automation in place, I would think that's a dying profession. 

CHFI and CFNY do. Maybe CHUM? Nobody in drive - there's really nothing to 'op.'

March 11, 2023 4:51 pm  #12

Actually RA it was a favour to me by my boss who was Don Shafer.  Simple as that and only on my weekend shift.  Everyone else had to announce/op.  After Julie it was a young lady named Cathy.  When I left Q (I was only part-time) I was hired to sign on with CISS-FM.  As part of my deal I asked to bring Cathy with me.  Down to Ontario Street we went.

March 11, 2023 8:43 pm  #13

You were very lucky to get that "perk" if you will. Most stations don't let new hires bring people with them. I know Jim Brady got to bring "Crazy" Carl Ramprashad with him when he went to CJCL. Those two were a great team and he didn't want to do a show in Toronto without his veteran producer.

Board ops weren't always a luxury, as you know. Back in the day, most of the big stations had one on most shifts. 

I remember being at the old CKEY in Toronto around 1979, when Maclean-Hunter started cutting back, and eliminated almost all the board op shifts. At the time, the great John Woodbridge, who hadn't self-op'ed a board in decades, was doing the overnights. 

As the day came near when his "guy behind the glass" was going to disappear for good, everyone was asking him, "John aren't you nervous? You haven't been behind a console in years." After days if not weeks of being asked how uncomfortable he might be about making a mistake, Woodbridge had had enough. 

On that momentous first night in question, I was working the late shift and finished at midnight. I stuck around to visit with Woodbridge in the control room just to see what would happen. As he cued up his first song and successfully played it after welcoming his audience into the all night show, he deliberately put his finger of the old slide pot/fader, moved it down to nothing for about half a second and then brought it back up to full VU volume. 

"First mistake out of the way!" he proclaimed and that put any more worries about it to bed for good.