sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2022 1:50 pm  #1

Broadcaster is a misnomer.

If I was on the air for a Bell station, regardless of tenure, I'd be checking to see if I should come into work tomorrow.  It's all about the bottom line and a total disregard for the listener by Bell Media, the pseudo-broadcaster which fired Lisa LaFlamme.  The firing of more than 200 radio and TV employees last year, the recent gutting of major-market radio station newsrooms, only confirms these number crunchers are in an industry they know absolutely nothing about and care less about any employee dedication.  How do you grasp Bell's moves when BCE's net profit in 2020 was $2.6 billion dollars, that's billion with a B.  Not only that, Bell received $122 million taxpayer dollars from the Canada Employment Wage Subsidy (CEWS) a  federal government agency.  Canadian broadcasting continues to be reshaped by these unconscionable decisions made by corporate ideologues calling themselves "broadcasters".  

August 18, 2022 2:54 pm  #2

August 18, 2022 3:05 pm  #3

Re: Broadcaster is a misnomer.

Wasn't so long ago we would hear "CFRB - A Service of Standard Broadcasting"
That posture is long gone. I once had a manager who explained away every decision of consequence with the conversation ending "It's just business" - which  is clearly the BCE/BellMedia  way of operating.