sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2016 8:30 am  #1

Laurence out @ Rogers.

Guy Laurence out as Rogers CEO, former Telus chief Joe Natale in

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/guy-laurence-stepping-down-as-rogers-ceo/article32386242/

Guy Laurence is out as chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc.

The British transplant to Canada will be replaced by former Telus Corp. CEO Joe Natale, Rogers said Monday.

Mr. Natale, who left his post at Telus in the summer of 2015, is not eligible for the role immediately due to a non-compete arrangement.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 17, 2016 11:05 am  #2

Re: Laurence out @ Rogers.

grilled.cheese wrote:

Great. Another rate increase. 

I doubt that. More like deeper cuts @ Rogers TV & Radio stations, no doubt...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 17, 2016 11:14 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Great. Another rate increase. 

I doubt that. More like deeper cuts @ Rogers TV & Radio stations, no doubt...

I can see Rogers pulling out of the conventional tv market and sticking with specialty broadcasting.. especially if the CRTC doesn't grant their request with the proposed Omni model.

Citytv has been a pain in their side since day 1 of acquiring it and it's been almost 10 years under Rogers and can't turn a profit.  Just my two thoughts.

October 17, 2016 2:19 pm  #4

Here2day wrote:

I can see Rogers pulling out of the conventional tv market and sticking with specialty broadcasting.. especially if the CRTC doesn't grant their request with the proposed Omni model.

Citytv has been a pain in their side since day 1 of acquiring it and it's been almost 10 years under Rogers and can't turn a profit. Just my two thoughts.

City does double duty as a nice tax write off and a place to dump sports when Sportsnet is full, or when Rogers has desire to carry sports that CRTC dictates must be an OTA covered sport. 
If Rogers does sell City, it wouldn't surprise me if they try to maintain part ownership strictly for sports coverage...at least until they can get out of the hockey deal...

October 18, 2016 5:12 pm  #5

Mismanaged pretenders.  They're all going belly up.  They spent too much on B.S. and the product[s] are ALL just tooooooooooooooooooo crappy.  NO bang for the buck. 

I hope he got no multi mega bucks severance.  Only wrongful dismissal should be awarded with meaningful dollars.  Execs?  Worthless.  A dime a dozen.  No talent.  [and NO hearts.]

Last edited by Old Codger (October 18, 2016 5:13 pm)

October 18, 2016 5:19 pm  #6

Here2day wrote:

Citytv has been a pain in their side since day 1 of acquiring it and it's been almost 10 years under Rogers and can't turn a profit. Just my two thoughts.

Rogers is NOT a TV company.  Never were.  Don't know wtf they're doing.  They were a radio company.  Now?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  And cable?  Where's THAT going?

Some day soon it's all going to topple over for the Rogers and the Bells and Cor-asses of this world.  They don't know what they're doing.  Maybe they once did.  But THIS is now. 

Adios.

October 18, 2016 6:16 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Here2day wrote:

Rogers is NOT a TV company.  Never were.  Don't know wtf they're doing.  They were a radio company.  Now?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  And cable?  Where's THAT going?

Some day soon it's all going to topple over for the Rogers and the Bells and Cor-asses of this world.  They don't know what they're doing.  Maybe they once did.  But THIS is now. 

Adios.

Like it or not Rogers is an everything company today. They are also in the Sports business. Sportsnet is where their TV money is. City TV is just their dumping ground for leftover sports and OTA sports coverage. 
(when required by CRTC to do so)
Rogers is always going to be around, solid and strong.

October 18, 2016 10:23 pm  #8

There was speculation on CTV Tuesday afternoon that he may have walked the plank over the less than successful and money losing NHL hockey deal they're saddled with for the next decade. 

October 19, 2016 4:45 pm  #9

I doubt that they're solid and strong even now.  Costs are exceeding incomes.  It's a smoke and mirrors shell game and they're gonna get caught.

October 19, 2016 5:11 pm  #10

Old Codger wrote:

I doubt that they're solid and strong even now.  Costs are exceeding incomes.  It's a smoke and mirrors shell game and they're gonna get caught.

They are doing just fine. Baseball is helping them survive... http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blue-jays-value-rogers-1.3275493

October 20, 2016 12:42 pm  #11

And as of now as the rebuilding process kicks into gear, as ratings drop and as attendance returns to 'normal'...that will no longer be the case.  Oh well.  It was fun while it lasted...with that 1/2 baked pitching staff.

Maybe the Leafs'll suddenly get good?  Although blowing a 4 - 0 lead to Winterpeg isn't exactly a glimpse into a better future.