sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2022 6:17 pm  #1

MTV Launched On This Day, August 1, 1981

https://www.instagram.com/p/CguvS4IJb9a/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

without MTV, there's no Much Music and even though both MTV and Much eventually proved the title of that Neil Young song was oh so sadly right, during the first five years or so, MTV was everywhere and absolutely everything to generations of kids, and not just kids, radio DJ's suddenly realized there was more to a career in broadcasting and music than radio

August 1, 2022 8:12 pm  #2

Re: MTV Launched On This Day, August 1, 1981

betaylored wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CguvS4IJb9a/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

without MTV, there's no Much Music and even though both MTV and Much eventually proved the title of that Neil Young song was oh so sadly right, during the first five years or so, MTV was everywhere and absolutely everything to generations of kids, and not just kids, radio DJ's suddenly realized there was more to a career in broadcasting and music than radio

MTV, especially in the US was responsible for the second big British invasion of music.  Here in Southern Ontario we had CFNY, CHUM, City's New Music and Fashion Television that had been already promoting the British new wave prior to MTV.

Interesting how MTV and Much definitely were playing initially mostly non hit music but soon would set the trends on top 40 radio and many FM stations.  Much in particular was responsible for breaking many new Canadian bands that likely never would have seen the light of day on radio. Much and MTV were doing what radio had stopped doing, breaking new artists and music. 

Both networks are shells of their former selves and time moves on.  But for about 20 years they were at the forefront for contemporary music, fashion, lifestyle and influence. 

August 1, 2022 8:29 pm  #3

Remember Much took their show south for MuchUSA.  Not sure how long that lasted.   Sadly both networks gave up on music videos for comedy programming.  But, I thought video killed the radio star?

August 1, 2022 10:09 pm  #4

djwildbill wrote:

Remember Much took their show south for MuchUSA.  Not sure how long that lasted.   Sadly both networks gave up on music videos for comedy programming.  But, I thought video killed the radio star?

Much also expanded into Latin America at one point. In 2009 I spotted a Much-branded music channel in Mexico, playing Latin music videos.

August 2, 2022 7:46 am  #5

MJ Vancouver wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

Remember Much took their show south for MuchUSA. Not sure how long that lasted. Sadly both networks gave up on music videos for comedy programming. But, I thought video killed the radio star?

Much also expanded into Latin America at one point. In 2009 I spotted a Much-branded music channel in Mexico, playing Latin music videos.

According to wiki MuchUSA (MMUSA) was launched July 1 1994 and lived until 2003 when it was renamed Fuse.  Fuse continued to carry some MuchMusic programming for many years after including the MMVA's. Fuse is still available today. CHUM sold their 50% ownership of MuchUSA to AMC in 2001.

It sounds like Much Music Latin America is still around (owned by Warner Bros/Discovery) along with Much Music Czech.  A friend of mine who was originally from Colombia told me about 8 years ago that Much Music Latin America was very popular in Colombia. These stations still play music videos for at least part of the day.   

August 2, 2022 12:16 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

Remember Much took their show south for MuchUSA. Not sure how long that lasted. Sadly both networks gave up on music videos for comedy programming. But, I thought video killed the radio star?

According to wiki MuchUSA (MMUSA) was launched July 1 1994 and lived until 2003 when it was renamed Fuse.  Fuse continued to carry some MuchMusic programming for many years after including the MMVA's. Fuse is still available today. CHUM sold their 50% ownership of MuchUSA to AMC in 2001.

It sounds like Much Music Latin America is still around (owned by Warner Bros/Discovery) along with Much Music Czech.  A friend of mine who was originally from Colombia told me about 8 years ago that Much Music Latin America was very popular in Colombia. These stations still play music videos for at least part of the day.   

Music videos were still a big thing on Mexican television when I was working there a decade ago, far more than in Canada by that point. While most bars in Canada and the US usually show sports on all their TVs, bars in Mexico typically show music videos, at least if there’s no important football game on. Just yesterday I was in a Mexican restaurant in Toronto and their TV was showing Mexican music videos.