sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2022 7:18 am  #1

Do You Use VMedia As Your ISP Or TV Provider? You Should Know This

It's been swallowed up by Quebecor, as independent ISPs repeatedly complain the CRTC's policies are driving them to the brink of bankruptcy or forcing them to make deals with the devil. 

If you live in the GTA, Quebecor could soon be your ISP as it snaps up small internet and TV provider VMedia

July 29, 2022 7:30 am  #2

Re: Do You Use VMedia As Your ISP Or TV Provider? You Should Know This

This was supposed to be a good thing, if Quebecor were to also get Freedom mobile.
Combine Vmedia with Freedom on the same bill...yes? no?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 29, 2022 8:29 am  #3

Hard to say. I think history has shown that when one of the bigger telco/cable entities takes over a smaller one, prices go up and service goes down. Not sure why that would be any different just because it's not Bell or Rogers. 

July 29, 2022 8:44 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Hard to say. I think history has shown that when one of the bigger telco/cable entities takes over a smaller one, prices go up and service goes down. Not sure why that would be any different just because it's not Bell or Rogers. 

We are on the same page, but I see more of a force bundle situation + higher prices for those who refuse to do so.
Sort of like how Rogers is treating me like gold as long as I keep 4 services currently, but once I drop down to 3 all my discounts are gone. (pretty much)

July 29, 2022 8:54 am  #5

I know you like Rogers and I'm glad you're satisfied with their service. But did you ever wonder how much better you might have done had the CRTC not reversed its decision on lowering prices for independent ISPs, to foster more competition and hopefully lower prices? Sadly, we may never know.

July 30, 2022 9:22 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I know you like Rogers and I'm glad you're satisfied with their service.

Rogers internet today acting up a lot. Kept showing the no internet page then suddenly it's fine when I hit refresh.
So, not an outage, just a complicated hiccup in the service.
Hopefully what needed to be fixed is now fixed.