sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2022 3:31 pm  #1

"The Rush" Away From CFRB's Drive Home Show

I've resisted posting this for months, but after what I've just heard, I can't wait anymore. 

I really wanted to give the still relatively new co-hosts of the so-called "New Rush" on CFRB a chance, because no team is terrific right out of the gate. But I just can't listen to the show at all, and it's all thanks to one person - co-host Reshmi Nair. She is amongst the most obnoxious people I've ever heard on any Toronto radio station. And before the usual politically correct types charge in, no, it has nothing whatsoever to do with her gender or her ethnicity.  

She talks down to guests she disagrees with, she adopts a scathing tone of ridicule to callers who bother to phone to give an opinion she doesn't share, and on Monday afternoon - the true last straw for me - she had a set-to with a Brampton councillor locked in a bitter battle with Mayor Patrick Brown. 

I didn't entirely agree with the politico as he tried to present his side of the story, but that's just the point - he tried. She wouldn't let him, continually and endlessly interrupting him, talking over him for almost the entire interview and generally preventing him from giving his side - you know, the very reason they bothered to get him on the air in the first place. I actually found myself yelling at the radio, "Let the guy speak, dammit!"

But she wouldn't. 

After endlessly silencing him by speaking over everything he had to say, she then had the gall to conclude, "Well, we're out of time," and the segment came to a disappointing end without listeners learning anything new.   

If you're offended by the way Jerry Agar conducts himself on the air, then try to avoid this woman. She's rude and one of the worst radio hosts I've heard in a very long time. It's too bad Scott MacArthur, who is mostly good at his job, is saddled with this sad sack sidekick. Last week, when she was off, it was a much different and much better show. 

John Oakley and Tom McConnell, here I come!

July 25, 2022 4:03 pm  #2

Re: "The Rush" Away From CFRB's Drive Home Show

"She is amongst the most obnoxious people I've ever heard on any Toronto radio station." 
Tolerated only by Bell which proves no concern for the program content or the listener.  If there are any complaints, they are falling on deaf ears. From the very brief occasion if had 'RB on in the afternoon, I found her approach is forced, phoney and amateurish.  Not even good enough for the station in Upper Rubber Boots Saskatchewan!

July 25, 2022 5:00 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I've resisted posting this for months, but after what I've just heard, I can't wait anymore. 

I really wanted to give the still relatively new co-hosts of the so-called "New Rush" on CFRB a chance, because no team is terrific right out of the gate. But I just can't listen to the show at all, and it's all thanks to one person - co-host Reshmi Nair. She is amongst the most obnoxious people I've ever heard on any Toronto radio station. And before the usual politically correct types charge in, no, it has nothing whatsoever to do with her gender or her ethnicity.

I can’t agree or disagree, RA, because I haven’t heard enough of her on ‘RB (maybe their last 20 minutes
one afternoon), after listening to Reshmi on a Toronto Mike podcast. I, too, have resisted posting my
thoughts on their conversation, because who gives a rat’s ass about what I think about that. Well, thank you
for this opening, because she blew me away.

When Nair was doing her CBC stuff, I’d catch her (not every day) but enough to think she was quite good
at what she did. She moved on.

Long story short, we jump to Mike’s podcast. The thought was to hear what she was all about. As some broadcasters have already discovered, if you’re ever looking for somebody with a built-in personality, all you have to do is listen to the podcast. What a treat!

July 25, 2022 5:12 pm  #4

"I was so offended by Reshmi Nair that I ran to Oakley for a hug and some sniffles."

Last edited by Chrisphen (July 25, 2022 5:12 pm)

July 25, 2022 5:31 pm  #5

mike marshall wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I can’t agree or disagree, RA, because I haven’t heard enough of her on ‘RB (maybe their last 20 minutes
one afternoon), after listening to Reshmi on a Toronto Mike podcast. I, too, have resisted posting my
thoughts on their conversation, because who gives a rat’s ass about what I think about that. Well, thank you

When Nair was doing her CBC stuff, I’d catch her (not every day) but enough to think she was quite good

Long story short, we jump to Mike’s podcast. The thought was to hear what she was all about. As some broadcasters have already discovered, if you’re ever looking for somebody with a built-in personality, all you have to do is listen to the podcast. What a treat!

Well, that's what makes this place so special, Mike - we can agree to disagree. The difference here is that I'm not interrupting you between every sentence and you get to put out your opinion without me typing over you. I suppose that's my real objection. I have no doubt she's very intelligent and quite experienced (CP24, CBC etc.) 

But if you're not going to let your guest get a word in edgewise, why bother having them on at all? I find she does this frequently and the way she talks to callers who disagree with her really ticks me off. People have a right to their opinions, misguided or not. And she has a right to refute them. But at least let them speak. 

It's like that hoary old one liner: "Everyone's entitled to my opinion." That, unfortunately, is too often Ms. Nair's approach. 

July 25, 2022 7:08 pm  #6

I also left 1010 about a month after they started.  Both of them annoy me.
Now enjoying John Oakley - he's the winner!

July 25, 2022 8:24 pm  #7

It’s Matt Gurney and Supriya all over again

I’m out

July 25, 2022 9:06 pm  #8

Speaking of hard to listen to, for the second week in a row, AM 640 has a guy who says he's a comedian, Jay Martin, doing the On Point Show at 7 PM. On Monday night, he made so many mistakes in a row, I almost lost count. 

He started in his introduction by telling his audience about a "monumentous" story. There's "momentous" and "monumental" but I'm pretty sure "monumentous" is not an actual word. Worse yet, one of his guests then repeated it after hearing him say it.

Then, a few minutes later, he talked about a new levy (as in tax) that was being discussed. Except he pronounced it "lee-vee" (rhymes with TV.) Strike two.

But the worst was yet to come. A segment later, he mentioned that former NDP leader Andrea Horwath is expected to announce on Tuesday that she will officially be running for Hamilton mayor, after the incumbent, Fred Elfenberg, confirmed he was quitting. But the long time Hamilton Mayor is named "Fred Eisenberger" and he's been in that office for 8 years combined. He was clearly reading it off a page, so how in the world did he come up with "Elfenberg?" (The show airs on CHML in Hamilton, so even if the London and Toronto audience didn't notice, I'm pretty sure they did.)

Still, as bad as that was, at least he's not the permanent host and maybe next week, they'll have someone a lot more competent. Look, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings with this thread, but this has just been embarrassing for a show that airs in the #1 market in all of Canada - not to mention two other cities in Ontario.

July 26, 2022 6:02 am  #9

Newstalk1010 was my listen to radio station for such a long time.  Not anymore!  With all the changes that have taken place the only show I listen to now is John Moore.  

July 26, 2022 8:20 am  #10

mike marshall wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Here's Reshmi Nair's recent visit to my home studio: https://www.torontomike.com/2022/07/reshmi-nair-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1076/

July 26, 2022 1:42 pm  #11

I thought she was well-suited to her much more scripted role on CBC News Network. Perhaps free-wheeling isn't her forte.

Excellent appearance and smile for the TV camera too, but of course that doesn't come across in radio.

July 26, 2022 7:30 pm  #12

Dial Twister wrote:

Excellent appearance and smile for the TV camera too, but of course that doesn't come across in radio.

Understand where you’re coming from, Dial Twister, but this point can be made, too. It is possible to make a
smile come across on the radio. Think about it for a moment. It’s probably one of the hardest things to
accomplish - I’ve heard it more than once - and it can be a real ratings-getter.
‘Affected’ doesn’t count.

July 27, 2022 12:30 am  #13

They seem like genuinely nice people, which is good, but it’s a boring show.

July 27, 2022 12:33 am  #14

Jim Richards back after Labour Day??

July 27, 2022 7:50 am  #15

cash wrote:

Jim has been 'cashed out'.  Besides, it would do nothing for, and at this stage possibly be detrimental to , the corporation's ESG score.

July 27, 2022 7:56 am  #16

cash wrote:

I would like that as I think Jim Richards was at least entertaining. I also hate how CFRB drops on-air talent with no notice or explanation. Jay Michaels was the only 1010 talent I can think of that actually got to tell his audience he was leaving. I now only listen to John Moore and Jason Agnew’s Sunday Morning Trivia, miss David Trafford too!

Last edited by Shorty Wave (July 27, 2022 7:58 am)

July 27, 2022 8:40 am  #17

The CFRB Saturday morning replacement for Trafford is a joke!  Again, another bottom line maneuver for Bell.  It's sad how these pseudo broadcasters are changing the landscape.

August 2, 2022 4:38 pm  #18

Listening to Reshmi today with Scott was just painful. It sounds like she just has to be right all of the time and won’t let anyone else have an opinion that is not hers.

August 2, 2022 4:41 pm  #19

This is my feeling as well. I have no idea why she does this. Others do have a right to their opinion. And believe me, guest host Scott Reid isn't exactly a shrinking violet. I waited a while to give her a chance before posting this thread, but I think this is turning a lot of people off - and their radios along with it. 

August 2, 2022 4:46 pm  #20

Bring back Jim Richards!!
Bring back Jim Richards!!

August 2, 2022 5:55 pm  #21

I listened to the show once and never turned it on again.  Surely, there has to be someone more entertaining!

August 4, 2022 11:58 am  #22

I might just tune in on Thursday. Reshmi will not be there.

Instead, Scott Reid and Bob Reid (no relation) will be co-hosting the show. Scott is a well-known Liberal operative who used to be an advisor to Paul Martin. He knows his politics, even if he does tend to be a bit biased toward his side. 

Bob is a PR consultant who speaks plainly and honestly about political screw-ups and is the featured player on Friday's "Touchdowns and Fumbles" feature on Jerry Agar's show, the longest running segment currently on CFRB. 

August 4, 2022 2:17 pm  #23

RadioActive wrote:

I might just tune in on Thursday. Reshmi will not be there.

Instead, Scott Reid and Bob Reid (no relation) will be co-hosting the show. Scott is a well-known Liberal operative who used to be an advisor to Paul Martin. He knows his politics, even if he does tend to be a bit biased toward his side. 

Bob is a PR consultant who speaks plainly and honestly about political screw-ups and is the featured player on Friday's "Touchdowns and Fumbles" feature on Jerry Agar's show, the longest running segment currently on CFRB. 

Great. More PR muffins.