sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2015 1:26 pm  #1

podcast validation

podcasts, the internet is full of them, but out of the thosands of "at home broadcasters" a few stand out. one of those, in my opinion, is comedian/actor turned broadcaster, marc maron and his "wtf" podcast. many people tend to agree with me... including the u.s. prez.. who, just a week ago last friday, traveled to marc maron's california studio, no...  make that marc's make-shift studio located in his "nothing fancy" home's garage, for a one hour recorded interview.  marc, despite his insecurity, is known for his interviewing abilities (especially when it comes to really getting to know his guest). people do indeed listen and embrace certain podcasts and i'm sure the president's "people" realize this.

i'm sure the president obtained a few "common man" bonus points when he stated he once lived just down the street from marc's home.
as of now, the download amount, for the interview, has surpassed the 1.6 million mark.

here's a link to the interview  wtf  
and a link where marc descibes the event and its background  link

sure "traditional radio" will live on, but (imho) so will its technology based competition. again, in my opinion, today's internet broadcasting is still in a development stage, similiar to tv in the 50's. it's time to get on the train before it leaves the station.

Last edited by the original hank (June 30, 2015 12:37 am)

June 29, 2015 6:50 pm  #2

Re: podcast validation

When Newstalk 1010 used to air Marc Maron's "WTF" on weekends years ago, it was appointment listening for me.  Marc is an excellent interviewer and I think the garage setting, though a bit of a gimmick, makes the interview subject much more comfortable than a conventional studio.  It's an actual conversation between two people rather than an 'interview' per se.

June 29, 2015 7:01 pm  #3

I agree, I was usually heading home and would listen whenever I could.  Interestingly I never thought to subscribe to the thing.  It just seemed more convenient to tune it in, which I understand makes no sense .

Doug Thompson wrote:

When Newstalk 1010 used to air Marc Maron's "WTF" on weekends years ago, it was appointment listening for me.  Marc is an excellent interviewer and I think the garage setting, though a bit of a gimmick, makes the interview subject much more comfortable than a conventional studio.  It's an actual conversation between two people rather than an 'interview' per se.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 30, 2015 9:59 am  #4

speaking of podcasts, if you're a letterman fan then i would suggest you check out gilbert gottfried's latest podcast. it features longtime (25 years) letterman show staff writer, bill scheft. even if you're not a fan of gilbert , i'm sure you find this interview (1 hour 20 minutes) to be very interesting. like wtf, there's no signup required. here's a LINK to the latest episode (as of june 30) featuring bill scheft. the podcast also has an archive list. it should start automatically but you can stop, pause, etc. as required.

btw, i'm a fan of gilbert and his podcast. it isn't flashy or slick but it can often be very interesting and funny... at least to me.

Last edited by the original hank (June 30, 2015 10:00 am)

June 30, 2015 4:00 pm  #5

July 1, 2015 6:54 am  #6

the original hank wrote:

speaking of podcasts, if you're a letterman fan then i would suggest you check out gilbert gottfried's latest podcast. it features longtime (25 years) letterman show staff writer, bill scheft. even if you're not a fan of gilbert , i'm sure you find this interview (1 hour 20 minutes) to be very interesting. like wtf, there's no signup required. here's a LINK to the latest episode (as of june 30) featuring bill scheft. the podcast also has an archive list. it should start automatically but you can stop, pause, etc. as required.

btw, i'm a fan of gilbert and his podcast. it isn't flashy or slick but it can often be very interesting and funny... at least to me.

FYI, Bill Scheft was also a guest on Maron's WTF podcast relatively recently.  It sould be still available on Marc's website. (All Marc's WTF podcasts are available for free download for 6 months before they go behind a paywall)

July 1, 2015 12:09 pm  #7

i just heard that interview tq. marc's interview with bill was too old to be heard for free on the wtf website, but marc posted the show on youtube, where it can be heard for free. it too is an interesting interview but different from the one on gilbert's site. gilbert's was more like an audiobook that could be called "life with letterman" (a thought starter is given and then bill presents a story). meanwhile, marc's interview was more like a conversation, with the letterman years being one element of bill's life.
that said, i can't say enough positive things about marc maron's interview... no make that "conversation" skills. he's not afraid to divulge relatable (and non-flattering) parts of his life during the recorded conversation without comprimising the guest being the primary focus. i'm sure that's why his guests really open up.

one of the best wtf interviews, i've heard thus far, is the one with robin williams (marc re-aired it after william's death).  robin was calm and honest, no shtick or the need to be "on". what robin revealed was also sad especially when factoring the thought of his suicide. to me, being able to get a calm robin williams to open up is really something. perhaps the studio environment is so unlike a studio results in guests not feeling the presure to perform? i'm not sure but i do know this, what comes out of the speaker is good stuff. 

btw, pardon any typos. from what i understand, spellcheck is only available on a premium version of boardhost.

also... the rebroadcast of the robin williams' interview, starting with marc's thoughts about robin's death, can be heard on youtube. here's the LINK if you're interested in checking it out.

Last edited by the original hank (July 1, 2015 12:11 pm)

July 5, 2015 8:32 pm  #8

geo wrote:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/06/29/toronto-workers-in-war-over-unpaid-wages-with-grilled-cheese-restaurant-owner.html

Hey, G.C -- how goes the battle?

In over 35 years of working, I have never worked one week without getting paid. If you owe me money, You pay me. Paid on Friday, back to work on Monday. No pay on Friday, looking  for a new job on Saturday. Smarten the Fark up, and quit whining like the idiots y'all are!!

I am Here, just not all there.

July 6, 2015 8:10 am  #9

StevieB wrote:

Smarten the Fark up, and quit whining

Kessel's gone, the budget will balance itself and Oakley's back on his throne

Everything is beautiful in its own way so relax 

July 6, 2015 3:03 pm  #10

For what it's worth, CBC's Radio 1 has just started a summer replacement show that airs what it terms "the best podcasts" on a one hour weekly basis. It airs Saturdays from 11 AM to 12 PM and again Wednesdays from 1-2 in the afternoon. 

Their description of the show, dubbed "Podcast Playlist":

"Your audio DJ Sean Rameswaram (host of the sideshow podcast from CBC partner PRI) curates an eclectic mix from the digital realm, sampling some of the most intriguing of what the internet has to offer."