sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2022 7:01 am  #1

Joe Bowen's Son Begins Hockey Broadcast Career In Sudbury

First it was Dan Shulman's son, Ben, filling in on some Blue Jays' radio games earlier this summer. Now another child of the game is moving behind the mic. Leaf play-by-play veteran Joe Bowen's kid, David, will be the new voice of the Sudbury Wolves of the OHL this coming season. 

And talk about like father, like son - Joe Bowen began his on-air career doing the Wolves games back in the 70s, before graduating to the Leafs, where he's been the team's voice for decades. 

But there will be no catch phrase copying during the newcomer's tenure. 

"'Holy Mackinaw' will be reserved for two things for me: One, If the Wolves can ever win the Memorial Cup, then maybe I'll let one go there," Bowen said. 

"And if I ever get my dad's job, then if the Leafs ever win one, then I'll let one go there. But I'm not using that word in any other moments other than those two." 

Holy Mackinaw! Son of Leafs announcer Joe Bowen, begins broadcast career in Sudbury

July 18, 2022 8:04 am  #2

Re: Joe Bowen's Son Begins Hockey Broadcast Career In Sudbury

My fav hockey play-by-play guy of all time was Danny Gallivan .. #2 is Joe Bowen.

Good luck to Bowen Jr. : )) .. 

July 18, 2022 11:00 pm  #3

Re: Joe Bowen's Son Begins Hockey Broadcast Career In Sudbury

RadioActive wrote:

First it was Dan Shulman's son, Ben, filling in on some Blue Jays' radio games earlier this summer. Now another child of the game is moving behind the mic. Leaf play-by-play veteran Joe Bowen's kid, David, will be the new voice of the Sudbury Wolves of the OHL this coming season. 

And talk about like father, like son - Joe Bowen began his on-air career doing the Wolves games back in the 70s, before graduating to the Leafs, where he's been the team's voice for decades. 

But there will be no catch phrase copying during the newcomer's tenure. 

"'Holy Mackinaw' will be reserved for two things for me: One, If the Wolves can ever win the Memorial Cup, then maybe I'll let one go there," Bowen said. 

"And if I ever get my dad's job, then if the Leafs ever win one, then I'll let one go there. But I'm not using that word in any other moments other than those two." 

Holy Mackinaw! Son of Leafs announcer Joe Bowen, begins broadcast career in Sudbury

Joe Bowen's incessant use of that catchphrase and the decibel level every time the Leafs so much as touch the puck make him an absolute no go for me.  Him and Jim Ralph and their non-stop bitching about the refereeing in every single game all year long, and his need to pause to look up jersey numbers anytime a non-Leaf touches the puck have relegated him to homer radio broadcasts where he belongs.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 18, 2022 11:01 pm)