sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2022 10:59 am  #1

The Bedroom, Single Beds or King Sized?

One of the quirks of old TV sitcoms are always the scenes in the bedroom for a married couple.  Shows like Dick Van Dyke and I Love Lucy had the couple separated with single beds. This had to do with the US Broadcast Standards and Practices of the day. 

I was surprised today watching The Danny Thomas Show that had a bedroom segment with Danny Thomas and his wife in the same big bed. I thought at first maybe the single beds were moved together, but no it was one bed with king or queen sized covers.  The show I watched was the same B&W era as Dick Van Dyke, but unlike the Petrie's, the William's were sleeping together. 

July 13, 2022 11:24 am  #2

Re: The Bedroom, Single Beds or King Sized?

Not only did the TV couples sleep in seperate beds, they didn't turn out the lights. When they were ready to go to sleep, they would pull a blidfold over their eyes.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 13, 2022 1:09 pm  #3

I always wondered about this on the Dick van Dyke Show. If Rob and Laura had separate beds, where did Richie come from?

July 13, 2022 3:01 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I always wondered about this on the Dick van Dyke Show. If Rob and Laura had separate beds, where did Richie come from?

probably from the next door neighbour Jerry

July 13, 2022 3:36 pm  #5

By the way, if Olive Oyl and Popeye were never married - although the swabby sailor certainly tried - where did Swee'Pea come from?

Turns out, there IS an answer to that question

July 13, 2022 3:47 pm  #6

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

probably from the next door neighbour Jerry