sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2022 11:39 am  #1

CBC Radio's "As It Happens" Names Permanent New Co-Host

It's one of CBC Radio's most prominent shows and now "As It Happens" has named a permanent new co-host. It's Nil (pronounced "Neil") Köksal, who formerly was an anchor for the morning's CBC World Report newscast. She joins current moderator Chris Howden, who will continue to co-host the show, which has been on the air for over half a century. 

The new gig begins September 5th.

Nil Köksal Named New Co-Host Of "As It Happens"

July 11, 2022 1:58 pm  #2

Re: CBC Radio's "As It Happens" Names Permanent New Co-Host

My favourite ever interview from AIH was the time Barbara Frum interviewed a gardener about the giant sized cabbage he had grown. The guy was extremely had of hearing and couldn't understand Barbara's questions.

Finally, an exasperateD Barbara Frum asked "HOW BIG IS THE GOD DAMNED CABBAGE?"

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 11, 2022 2:11 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

My favourite ever interview from AIH was the time Barbara Frum interviewed a gardener about the giant sized cabbage he had grown. The guy was extremely hard of hearing and couldn't understand Barbara's questions.

Finally, an exasperated Barbara Frum asked "HOW BIG IS THE GOD DAMNED CABBAGE?"

Nothing ever goes away online.

Barbara Frum and that 'goddamn cabbage' audio

July 11, 2022 4:54 pm  #4

https://twitter.com/nilkoksalcbc/status/1546533204714299393?t=mi_rQo3JBYB3Jb2TYevuwg&s=19

and as it happens these days, the new co-host announces the news on Twitter

July 11, 2022 5:57 pm  #5

When I was a second year broadcast student back in 1976, I was hired by CBC radio as a tech (board operator) from May into early September.  CBC hired a bunch of Conestoga and Ryerson broadcast students to cover for regular staff who were off for the Montreal Olympics. We were trained in the various studios and moved around as needed to work on many different shows. Some of these programs weren't even run in Southern Ontario. 

My first three weeks were spent in the As It Happens studio, learning the board and taping interviews during the day that might be played in the evening during the big show. There was a lot of material that didn't make it to air, or was broadcast later if it wasn't dated. Changes were made during the live show, depending on what was happening.    

Barbara Frum was one of the nicest people I had ever met in broadcasting.  Best thing about her was the wicked sense of humour.  She was very funny and loved to know who was dating who among younger staff, and was a bit of a gossip.   She worked very hard, in at 9 in the morning and still in studio at 8pm.

She was the star of CBC radio and had the ratings to prove it.  BBM ratings were posted in the studio and this was at a time when radio didn't have the numbers they have today across the country.  But As it Happens was very popular with listeners.

After my three weeks with As It Happens, I was moved to the National News radio studio.  A busy place and got to know Jan Tenant, another great person.  

Everyone was so surprised when Barbara passed away back in 1992 at the age of 54.  She had not been well for a few weeks but nobody knew that she had been sick for a long time, since 1974.  Only a few in her immediate family knew that she had leukemia.

I remember once she spotted me in the hallway speaking to three of my classmates.  We were going to go have lunch .  She came over and asked me how I was getting along working in the other studios.  She introduced herself to my classmates and wondered if we were going for lunch.  She then asked if she could tag along! 

All during lunch she was asking questions about ourselves, the course at Conestoga and what we wanted to do with our lives.  Quite a time for a bunch of students from Conestoga College, and a memory I will always remember.

It is amazing that As It Happens is still popular, and survived all of these years. Still one of the networks most popular programs.  

Last edited by paterson1 (July 11, 2022 5:58 pm)

July 11, 2022 7:47 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

When I was a second year broadcast student back in 1976, I was hired by CBC radio as a tech (board operator) from May into early September.  CBC hired a bunch of Conestoga and Ryerson broadcast students to cover for regular staff who were off for the Montreal Olympics. We were trained in the various studios and moved around as needed to work on many different shows. Some of these programs weren't even run in Southern Ontario. 

My first three weeks were spent in the As It Happens studio, learning the board and taping interviews during the day that might be played in the evening during the big show. There was a lot of material that didn't make it to air, or was broadcast later if it wasn't dated. Changes were made during the live show, depending on what was happening.    

Barbara Frum was one of the nicest people I had ever met in broadcasting.  Best thing about her was the wicked sense of humour.  She was very funny and loved to know who was dating who among younger staff, and was a bit of a gossip.   She worked very hard, in at 9 in the morning and still in studio at 8pm.

She was the star of CBC radio and had the ratings to prove it.  BBM ratings were posted in the studio and this was at a time when radio didn't have the numbers they have today across the country.  But As it Happens was very popular with listeners.

After my three weeks with As It Happens, I was moved to the National News radio studio.  A busy place and got to know Jan Tenant, another great person.  

Everyone was so surprised when Barbara passed away back in 1992 at the age of 54.  She had not been well for a few weeks but nobody knew that she had been sick for a long time, since 1974.  Only a few in her immediate family knew that she had leukemia.

I remember once she spotted me in the hallway speaking to three of my classmates.  We were going to go have lunch .  She came over and asked me how I was getting along working in the other studios.  She introduced herself to my classmates and wondered if we were going for lunch.  She then asked if she could tag along! 

All during lunch she was asking questions about ourselves, the course at Conestoga and what we wanted to do with our lives.  Quite a time for a bunch of students from Conestoga College, and a memory I will always remember.

It is amazing that As It Happens is still popular, and survived all of these years. Still one of the networks most popular programs.  

I thought the world of Barbara Frum, and loved reading this, thanks paterson1

July 11, 2022 11:44 pm  #7

I will miss Nil Köksal on World Report.  She has done an excellent job.

July 12, 2022 12:02 am  #8

July 12, 2022 12:07 am  #9

And yes, the cabbage is one of them.

The top 10 weirdest As It Happens stories of all time

July 12, 2022 8:14 pm  #10

Thanks for the comment betaylored.  It is always great when you meet a celebrity and they are actually nice, decent, smart and friendly.   That was Barbara. She never put the focus or spotlight on her, it was always on whoever she was talking to.  Even a bunch of green college kids from Conestoga.

July 12, 2022 8:46 pm  #11

The Toronto Public Library has a rule that they almost never name libraries after a person. They made an exception for Barbara Frum, and I grew up in North York near the one they eventually named after her. 

How The Barbara Frum Library Came To Be 

July 12, 2022 9:47 pm  #12

I always enjoy the Fireside Al stories. Especially The Shepherd, every Christmas Eve.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.