sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2022 12:57 pm  #1

Another Amazing YouTube Subsite: "Classic Baseball On The Radio."

It's one of the greatest unsung artforms there is - broadcasting a full baseball game on the radio and making you "see" the action in your mind. A terrific YouTube subsite called "Classic Baseball On The Radio" is proving just how far back that tradition goes. It contains hundreds and hundreds of vintage radio-called Major League games, involving some of the most famous broadcasters in the medium's history. 

And in most cases, they preset the entire nine innings, with each "video" running between 2-3 hours or more. Some of the best voices of the game are represented and brought back to life. The oldest recording I've found dates back to 1934, but you've really got to strain to hear it through the scratchy static. The fact it survives at all is something of a miracle. And some of the recordings are in less-than-ideal condition. But at least they're online.

And if the names behind the mic are legendary, the players on the field are even more so. Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are just some of many who get several at bats in some of these games.

An interesting time waster, if only to look through the list. Unfortunately, the games only cover the 30s to about the mid-70s, so there are no Jays matches I could find. Hopefully, one day, they could be added. I'd love to hear some of those Tom & Jerry calls again.

Classic Baseball On The Radio

July 11, 2022 1:14 pm  #2

Re: Another Amazing YouTube Subsite: "Classic Baseball On The Radio."

As often happens, one site leads to another. And this one does have the Jays, and in full video. It's called "Classic MLB1" and contains full and partial games of teams from across the league.

Classic MLB1

Here's a CTV game of the week (remember when CTV had a game of the week on free TV?) between the Yankees and the Jays back in 1985, a pivotal September game in the pennant race that would see Toronto emerge the winner. Anyone remember this line-up?