sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2022 2:57 pm  #1

Your tax dollars at work

On the CBC News Channel crawler this afternoon...

"Hayley Eisenhower Named assistant G.M. of the Toronto Maple Leafs"

The CBC should spend more time on their news product & a lot less time kissing Trudeau's ass.

Don't you agree?

July 5, 2022 3:02 pm  #2

Re: Your tax dollars at work

Really? Some green news writer screws up and it's Trudeau's fault? Look , there are a lot of things you can lay at his door, but this is pathetic. Couldn't be more petty.

July 5, 2022 3:19 pm  #3

Rune wrote:

it's Trudeau's fault?       

Your reading comprehension skills are sadly lacking 

Give it another try

July 5, 2022 4:09 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

The CBC should spend more time on their news product & a lot less time kissing Trudeau's ass.

Don't you agree?

re: Don't you agree?
A: No.

re: The CBC should spend .. a lot less time kissing Trudeau's ass
A: The only ass is the OP.   Best to stay with your "Fringe Minority" brethren. 

July 5, 2022 4:54 pm  #5

g121 wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Don't you agree?

A: No.

re: The CBC should spend .. a lot less time kissing Trudeau's ass
A: The only ass...   

And here he is

Right on time

TRIGGERED!!!!  lol

July 5, 2022 8:06 pm  #6

Heard two off-key notes from CBC reporters today on their News Network (12-1pm) segment. I didn't catch his name but an east coast based reporter pronounced the Vietnamese name 'Phuc' in the way your not supposed to. And later Makda Ghebreslassie informed us that Americans "sometimes fire their guns in the air when they are celebrating" ... In Philadelphia.

July 5, 2022 9:00 pm  #7

Not any worse than CP24 not knowing the difference between million and Billon earlier today.
The lady that did the mid day clearly said "Billion" when the amount was only in the millions.
CP24 has it's faults just as well. No need to trash something simply because taxes fund it.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 5, 2022 9:21 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

No need to trash something simply because taxes fund it.

Seriously?

Very politely I would suggest that it's even more of a reason to be critical

July 5, 2022 10:58 pm  #9

You're funding the private broadcasters too, if you purhase any of the products or services advertized there.
The advertizing budget is just one of the factors that go into determining the orice of anything.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 6, 2022 1:35 am  #10

turkeytop wrote:

You're funding the private broadcasters too, if you purhase any of the products or services advertized there.
The advertizing budget is just one of the factors that go into determining the orice of anything.

Exactly! Well said! Both equally need to get the facts right. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 6, 2022 8:40 am  #11

Sign of the times.

Years ago I was watching CHCH News at 6 pm and they got their word graphics mixed up between a car crash in Thorold and the Bosnian civil war

The newscaster was talking about the civil war while an image of a car crashed into a tree appeared and then they talked about the car crash while an image of a tank rolling down a street with the caption 'Thorold last night'

July 6, 2022 11:02 am  #12

When companies cut staff, what do you expect.  Twenty-five years ago, CJOH, now CTV Ottawa, would make three mistakes a year.  Now, it's three or more mistakes a week.
One person cannot always do five jobs at once.

July 6, 2022 11:36 am  #13

The MAGA cult is strong on this board...MSM is biased and kissing Trudeau's ass...says Rebel News, National Post and Toronto Sun...all 'funded' by right wing nut bars affiliated with the GOP in the USA...to freedumb convoyers, Cons and People's Party supporters if it rains on their family picnic, their sink backs up or they get a damn sliver while in one of the freest countries on the planet, it's Trudeau's fault...

July 6, 2022 11:59 am  #14

I hate getting into politics here, because that's not what we're really about. Unless, of course, it affects broadcasting. 

But I'm not sure you can say that just because somebody doesn't support our Prime Minister, they're instantly fans of Donald Trump. Personally, I can't stand either one of them! Although they could not be more different philosophically, there are odd similarities, including very narcissistic tendencies. Both tend to call their opponents names and both tend to be terribly divisive and polarizing.

Whatever happened to the people in the centre? I think most Canadians are conservative in some areas and liberal in others. The politicians who used to represent them are all but gone and now it's either one extreme or the other. There's no middle ground anymore and that's lamentable.

July 6, 2022 12:15 pm  #15

Ale Ont wrote:

When companies cut staff, what do you expect.  Twenty-five years ago, CJOH, now CTV Ottawa, would make three mistakes a year.  Now, it's three or more mistakes a week.
One person cannot always do five jobs at once.

As someone who once did graphics for over a decade at a Toronto TV newsroom, I feel I can weigh in on this. True, there's no excuse for repeated mistakes and I'm not trying to let people off the hook. But if you've never done it, you can't imagine the sheer volume of information that comes cascading down on you the closer you get to airtime. And getting an early start is often out of the question. 

For instance, reporters - who need specific keys for their stories - come barreling in, often at the last minute, and they're the only ones with the info you need. They have to cut their stories, get to the live shot, talk to their producers and editors, have the right make-up applied for an on-air appearance, and still get you the names and locations you need. With all that going on, the graphics people are often the last on the list to talk to. 

I literally had to chase people around the newsroom to get them to give me what I needed so their stories could go to air correctly. 

And then there's the issue of who enters this info - editors are smart people for the most part, but they're not always up on spelling and whether a certain road is an "avenue," a "crescent" or a "street." It all matters, because if you get it wrong, people who live in those areas all notice. 

Plus, you don't get a lot of time to decide when that key or super goes up - often the person speaking that you have to identify is only up for 3 seconds or less, and you need to stick that name in before the cutaway, or it looks terrible. I'm not sure how, but after many years, I could literally "feel" when the person was going to disappear and get the super out of there. 

Things are a bit different now than when I was doing the job - a lot of mine was manual entry. Now it's mostly all computer entry from various sources and hopefully, some of it is even pre-produced. I had to do it live back then, which only made it more likely something would go wrong.

What often surprises me isn't that there are three mistakes. It's that there aren't a lot more!

It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it. I'm just glad that's no longer me!

July 6, 2022 1:17 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

I hate getting into politics here, because that's not what we're really about. Unless, of course, it affects broadcasting. 

But I'm not sure you can say that just because somebody doesn't support our Prime Minister, they're instantly fans of Donald Trump. Personally, I can't stand either one of them! Although they could not be more different philosophically, there are odd similarities, including very narcissistic tendencies. Both tend to call their opponents names and both tend to be terribly divisive and polarizing.

Whatever happened to the people in the centre? I think most Canadians are conservative in some areas and liberal in others. The politicians who used to represent them are all but gone and now it's either one extreme or the other. There's no middle ground anymore and that's lamentable.

I'm not a Trudeau supporter. I'm a card carying member of another party. But I absolutely abhor what the extreme right is trying to do wither MAGA and their freedom convoys.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 6, 2022 1:48 pm  #17

Johnny B wrote:

The MAGA cult is strong on this board...MSM is biased and kissing Trudeau's ass...says Rebel News, National Post and Toronto Sun...all 'funded' by right wing nut bars affiliated with the GOP in the USA...to freedumb convoyers, Cons and People's Party supporters if it rains on their family picnic, their sink backs up or they get a damn sliver while in one of the freest countries on the planet, it's Trudeau's fault...

...yawn...

Care to post on topic?

July 6, 2022 4:24 pm  #18

Back in late 2016, I caught the clock in their lower-thirds was wrong on CBC NN.  It was 9:57PM CT, 10:57PM ET, 11:57PM AT, but then it was 12:27PM NT, which should have been 12:27AM NT because it would have been after midnight in Newfoundland (not mid-day).

I captured the video, put it on YouTube and notified them about it... they never replied or acknowledged the mistake, or fixed it.  Soon after, I cancelled my cable and no longer have access to CBC News Network so I don't know if this is still happening.

Last edited by chrishch (July 6, 2022 4:24 pm)

July 7, 2022 11:55 pm  #19

unclefester wrote:

TRIGGERED!!!!  lol

Says the guy logging on and tapping out a message blaming the Prime Minister for a typo on TV.

July 7, 2022 11:58 pm  #20

turkeytop wrote:

Not to mention that all of the big telecom giants get massive assistance when they build communication infrastructure.

July 8, 2022 8:25 am  #21

Tomas Barlow wrote:

unclefester wrote:

TRIGGERED!!!!  lol

Says the guy logging on and tapping out a message blaming the Prime Minister for a typo on TV.

Jesus H here's another one with poor reading comprehension

My opening post suggested no such thing

July 9, 2022 9:15 pm  #22

unclefester wrote:

Don't you agree?

You missed a period.  Maybe if you spent more time on your product and less time raging about Trudeau's ass.

Don't you agree?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (July 9, 2022 9:15 pm)