sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2022 10:10 am  #1

A Radio Site You've Got To Hear To Believe

As is so often the case, I accidentally found something on YouTube that is simply amazing. And judging by the amount of plays what's there has gotten, it doesn't appear many others have discovered it before. It's from someone who calls himself "Pirate Radio U.S.A." but it has nothing to do with pirate radio as we know the term. 

Instead, the posted videos (which are really almost all audio) contain a range of material that I've never run into anywhere else. There are old radio commercials (including dozens of Coke and Pepsi spots, featuring the likes of Aretha Franklin, the Bee Gees and others), very obscure TV themes, commercial parodies, game show music (including every conceivable bed from The Price is Right), novelty tunes, and political campaign spots (including one for Richard Nixon.)

But it's in the category of radio jingles where the collection really stands out. There are literally pages and pages of classics, ranging from WABC and WGAR, to several closer to home - like WKBW in Buffalo. There are also generics that could be used by any station. 

To list them all would take forever (in fact, it took me over half an hour just to scroll down the page and see everything on display) but here are a few that were especially of interest to me - CHUM, WGR and a rare one from CFPL in London.

You can find the index page here, but beware - this is one of the biggest and best timewasters I've ever come across. And I couldn't be happier about that!

July 7, 2022 10:34 am  #2

Re: A Radio Site You've Got To Hear To Believe

"Isn't it ironic, don'tcha think?"

I was looking at these very videos, just last night, looking to mix in some IDs with a backyard party playlist I'm putting together.

It's a small world after all, no?