sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2022 11:36 am  #1

How To Be A Disc Jockey...

My favourite part is where it says "diploma guaranteed!" From 1963:

July 5, 2022 11:42 am  #2

Re: How To Be A Disc Jockey...

Joey Reynolds did a great bit on this. He was guesting on WGRQ in Buffalo around Christmas 1972, when he took a call from a teenager, who clearly wasn't taking talking to the legend seriously. When Reynolds asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, the "kid on the phone," as he called him, replied. "I wanna be a disc jockey like you."

Without missing a beat, Reynolds said, "OK, you want to be a disc jockey? I'm going to tell you how. 

"Take 10 marbles, put them in your mouth.

"And every day, you take one of the marbles out. 

"And when all your marbles are gone, you've made it!"

Into his theme song sung by the Four Seasons and a perfectly delivered bit!

July 5, 2022 11:53 am  #3

From time to time, be sure to drop by the Salvation Army store, where one can find a box of old cassette tapes (yellow label) that read "NIB teaches you!" 
Yup. Each tape is a session from the 1960's (or 70's?) all about how to be the star of the show & how to get noticed & hired by a radio station.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 5, 2022 12:49 pm  #4

Actually, as I look at the ad again, probably the most hilarious part is right at the end, where it promises:

"Glamor, Popularity, Big Income!"

Anyone here ever found that being a DJ?

July 5, 2022 1:13 pm  #5

In 1963, Cameo Records in Philadelphia released an album called "You Be A Disc Jockey" featuring announcer Don Bruce, who worked for MARS Broadcasting (the company that produced The Dick Clark Radio Show".  One side had Don doing the intros (playing Cameo/Parkway artists of course).  The other side had blank holes for you to do the DJ part.  Allan Slaight at CHUM had a copy which he graciously gave to me.

July 5, 2022 1:45 pm  #6