sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2022 11:34 am  #1

CBC To Launch Free 24 Hr. All News Streaming Channel In The Fall

The launch means Andrew Chang will be leaving The National to host the major newscast on the new channel, which will be 24 hours and use various CBC elements produced across the country to fill the time.

From the CBC's website:

"It will include things like The National and other original programs like The Fifth Estate and Marketplace...It will include bundled stories that appear across the country and are put together around certain themes and will include some original programs."

So far, there's no official launch date. The Corp. says they're going after a younger audience that no longer watches regular TV or cable and streams everything. 

CBC News to launch streaming channel with Andrew Chang hosting daily show

June 30, 2022 11:54 am  #2

Re: CBC To Launch Free 24 Hr. All News Streaming Channel In The Fall

So, is this why the HLS streams hosted by Akamai for CBC News Network are no longer working?

Background:  There has always been non-official streams at different resolutions available to stream CBCNN without paying for CBC GEM's $5/month subscription.  However, the streams have stopped working for a few days now.

At least they say this new streaming channel is free (aka taxpeyer-funded).  I guess they learned the lesson from CNN+.

Last edited by chrishch (June 30, 2022 11:55 am)

June 30, 2022 12:02 pm  #3

It will also feature ads, which should help pay for some of it.

June 30, 2022 12:41 pm  #4

chrishch wrote:

Background:  There has always been non-official streams at different resolutions available to stream CBCNN without paying for CBC GEM's $5/month subscription.  However, the streams have stopped working for a few days now.

still a few non-official streams working out there ;))

https://www.livenewsnow.com/canadian-news/cbc-news.html 

https://livenewschat.eu/canada/

Last edited by g121 (June 30, 2022 12:43 pm)

June 30, 2022 12:59 pm  #5

I wonder if CTV News will do the same, or at least refresh their news channel.  

June 30, 2022 1:51 pm  #6

I'm surprised it took this long. NBC, CBS and ABC all have streaming news sites that are live pretty much 24 hours a day. And in the case of CBS, they also offer live online feeds from their various affiliates in major markets, which means you can watch New York, Los Angeles and Chicago news, among other places. (Some work only with a VPN, others are available to Canadians.)

City TV and Global have recently initiated free 24 online streaming news services. But CBC's won't be ready until the fall. 

June 30, 2022 2:31 pm  #7

I have actually never watched any of the streaming news channels before.  But there must be a need or opportunity if Global, City and CBC are offering them.  Nice to see that Adrienne Arsenault will be the lone anchor of the National and that Ian Hanomansing will  be the permanent host of Cross Country Check Up, along with his weekend anchoring duties.  I like the way that CBC News Network carries the first hour of CCCU every Sunday.     

July 1, 2022 8:03 am  #8

The National four head format introduced in November 2017 was a flop...  and re-vamped in 2020...   still lacking... so, what does CBC do? Spend more money, to revamp, and re-invent a wheel yet again...

Ian Hanomansing should have been the sole choice to succeed Mansbridge when he retired in 2017. 

July 3, 2022 11:04 pm  #9

chrishch wrote:

So, is this why the HLS streams hosted by Akamai for CBC News Network are no longer working?

At least they say this new streaming channel is free (aka taxpeyer-funded).  I guess they learned the lesson from CNN+.

I haven't seen it written anywhere that it'll be taxpayer funded. News Network isn't.

July 4, 2022 12:44 am  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I have actually never watched any of the streaming news channels before.  But there must be a need or opportunity if Global, City and CBC are offering them. 

It's appealing to the increasing number of cord-cutters who want access to a reliable rolling streaming news service. The free services provided by NBC, CBS, and ABC pretty much rival what the cable news channels are doing, and are getting great viewership (https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2022/02/11/following-the-audience-tv-stations-are-streaming-local-news/?sh=7a3f4c0c7bf2). Plus, the average age of streaming news service viewers (in the US anyway) are much younger than the average age of cable TV news viewers.

Citytv and Global's streaming news services are usually just national news wheels, with scheduled live simulcasts of local newscasts. Both networks have taken advantage of those services by broadcasting special news programming there (eg. election shows) instead of on the main TV channel.

This really leaves CTV as the only English network in this country not providing any sort of free live streaming news programming; CTV National News and the local newscasts are available on demand after each broadcast, but you need a cable subscription to watch them live. 

July 4, 2022 4:55 pm  #11

You can listen to CTV News Channel on the iHeart app. That’s something at least.

July 6, 2022 7:31 pm  #12

July 7, 2022 11:45 am  #13

July 7, 2022 11:50 pm  #14

It's a dumb idea for all of the reasons listed in the article but it's funny how no columnist can hide their hated of the CBC.
"taking turns at breathlessly telling you the day’s stories."
What does that mean?  I have never seen an anchor of the National breathlessly do anything.  They're always professional.