sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2022 10:07 am  #1

Why Is The CAB Running This Radio Campaign?

For the past few weeks, I've been hearing a spot on most radio stations from the Canadian Association of Broadcasters about local radio, saying, "imagine what it would be like without us." That's followed by 5 secs. of dead air, in which, I suppose, you're supposed to think about not hearing the station you're listening to any more.

They then give out the website locabroadcasters.ca, which leads to a page about the "value" of private broadcasters. 

Question: what, exactly, prompted this campaign? Is there anyone or anything out there currently threatening local radio or TV stations in Canada? If there is, I can't imagine what that might be. They're obviously trying to send a message. But I'll be darned if I can figure out exactly what it is. 

July 3, 2022 10:57 am  #2

Re: Why Is The CAB Running This Radio Campaign?

I have heard this spot as well RadioActive, a bit of a head scratcher for sure!

July 3, 2022 12:58 pm  #3

This is a Hail Mary campaign from the CAB.  The campaign is trying to give the impression that radio is still local and important to communities.  As many have noticed, many private stations are not really that local anymore other than the morning show and sometimes afternoon drive. The need to be local is still there but many private stations opted for the lazy route years ago. 

July 3, 2022 1:01 pm  #4

Not the lazy route... the cheaper route

July 3, 2022 1:12 pm  #5

Rune wrote:

Not the lazy route... the cheaper route

I tend to think it is both.  Cheap and lazy often go hand in hand. 

July 3, 2022 3:53 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Is there anyone or anything out there currently threatening local radio or TV stations in Canada?

Late-stage capitalism and phone companies owning radio/tv stations?

July 3, 2022 11:23 pm  #7

They're lobbying for more support for Canadian produced content.  It's far too subtle. If no one here gets it the average listener won't either.

https://cab-acr.ca/policies/creating-a-modern-canadian-broadcasting-sector/

July 4, 2022 8:58 am  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

They're lobbying for more support for Canadian produced content.  It's far too subtle. If no one here gets it the average listener won't either.

https://cab-acr.ca/policies/creating-a-modern-canadian-broadcasting-sector/

I agree, their support of Canadian content is far too subtle and the CAB is also in support of bill C-11. It is great to have this on the website but you need to advocate to more than just your members.   Odd that up until recently the CAB hasn't had any promos running on their member TV and radio stations.  The current promo, which I haven't heard sounds like it may be too low key.  Other than an op-ed in the Toronto Star written by CAB president Kevin Desjardins, I haven't seen or heard much from them on these topics. 

Michael Geist has been getting most of the press with his one sided comments on C-11.  People like Geist in fact don't want anything to change and really want the internet to be left alone.  But he never says why the five or six conglomerates who control social media should not be regulated.  All the talk about "freedom" and "the internet having no borders" is just a side bar to distract from the real issue of why the the new media is allowed unfettered advantages that other competing media have never had.

The CAB is also correct that the broadcasting act needs to be changed, updated and more flexible.  Again it is too bad that they haven't been seen or heard in newspapers, private radio and television stations across the country explaining their position.  Many Canadians would support them, but if the public isn't aware of where you stand, it becomes pretty hard to gain this support. 

The CAB has been saying that local TV and radio stations across the country will be going dark in the next three years if the regs and rules don't change and if the internet is continued to be allowed free reign.  I would think that they would be much more concerned and aggressive getting their message out if this dire prediction is accurate.   It seems to be another case of communicators doing a poor job communicating...

Last edited by paterson1 (July 4, 2022 9:03 am)