sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2022 12:08 am  #1

Did CTV London move their weekend news to Windsor?

I know some of you guys are not too familiar with the London/Windsor markets. I was watching CTV News London at 6 tonight and it has been the second weekend in a row that it has been done out of the CTV Windsor studio. Can someone confirm this? image hosting free

May 22, 2022 12:59 am  #2

Re: Did CTV London move their weekend news to Windsor?

Yep. I live in London and it looks like you could be right.

To me, the Windsor crew always seems a little more professional.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 22, 2022 8:43 am  #3

Yes, I've noticed the Windsor anchor and set for the past couple of weekends and agree with turkeytop that she's more professional than those we usually see on CTV London.

And since tomorrow is the Victoria Day holiday don't expect any local news at all on CTV London, two episodes of Cash Cab are scheduled for the 6-7 time period and an etalk rerun at 11. 

CFPL TV used to be one of the strongest local news organizations in the country... my how time have changed. It's just sad. 

May 22, 2022 7:33 pm  #4

turkeytop wrote:

Yep. I live in London and it looks like you could be right.

To me, the Windsor crew always seems a little more professional.

I agree Jim Crichton was professional too when he was the anchor before Stefanie Masotti took over and she does an awesome job too. I live in Perth County near Stratford I watch CTV News Kitchener more now than CTV London. I think CTV London has gone downhill when Tara Overholt left and Sacha Long left too.

May 22, 2022 8:15 pm  #5

zed wrote:

Yes, I've noticed the Windsor anchor and set for the past couple of weekends and agree with turkeytop that she's more professional than those we usually see on CTV London.

And since tomorrow is the Victoria Day holiday don't expect any local news at all on CTV London, two episodes of Cash Cab are scheduled for the 6-7 time period and an etalk rerun at 11. 

CFPL TV used to be one of the strongest local news organizations in the country... my how time have changed. It's just sad. 

Etalk. I wonder if even one person watches that show. What a waste of airtime. 

May 22, 2022 11:20 pm  #6

I don't watch Etalk very much. When it's 7PM I put on Wheel of Fortune and at 7:30PM it is Jeopardy time. Looking at the TV Guide CTV London News is not on tomorrow at 6 and 11. CTV Kitchener is on half hour but the question is why is CTV Barrie and CTV Toronto on? Why can't CTV London and Kitchener be like CTV Toronto and Barrie? 

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (May 22, 2022 11:29 pm)

May 28, 2022 6:32 pm  #7

zed wrote:

It looks like I was wrong about this. Jaden Lee Lincoln is doing the news tonight at 6, then at 11 back to the Windsor studio for the regional news tonight at 11.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (May 28, 2022 6:33 pm)

May 30, 2022 11:51 am  #8

I thought Bell had cancelled the weekend editions of CTV News Windsor. When did they bring it back?

May 31, 2022 9:49 am  #9

Charlie wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

zed wrote:

Etalk. I wonder if even one person watches that show. What a waste of airtime. 

'Etalk'?  Surely nobody other than paralysis sufferers or shut-ins with no access to a remote watch that drivel.

Based on the ratings...  they do very well oddly.  As does ET Canada.    That "WASTE" of airtime does have a following it appears.   I'm not one of them... but it's funny how people on here, jump to "because they don't watch it, no one does."   LOL!

As for CTV doing weekends in Windsor, as the control rooms for Windsor and London are in London, my guess is they likely had a staffing issue and someone in the Windsor market was available, so instead of driving to London, they hosted from their local studio.    Windsor has much more competition than London, (CBC, and all the big American networks)   In Windsor, most watch the US for TV.   The US stations make Canada's look very small market.    It shows you the lack of investment we have on this side.   You can't get people to watch Windsor when you look small town, and Detroit who covers major Windsor news as well, looks big time.  Being simply "Canadian" is not good enough for most in that market. 

Last edited by radiokid (May 31, 2022 9:56 am)

May 31, 2022 10:54 am  #10

We need to remember for about five and a half months the London and Windsor weekend evening news is not broadcast because of NFL football on CTV2. 

Detroit news is very slick with nice sets and good on air talent.  Fox Detroit does a huge amount of news daily about 12 hours starting at 3am.  Detroit hardly ever covers Windsor news, unless it is something that would impact Detroit.  I receive the Detroit stations and Windsor is not mentioned much in the news unless it impacts the border or the new bridge. They may cover a big event in Windsor that people in Detroit would attend.  Sometimes Windsor isn't even included in the weather map!. 

The CTV Windsor news isn't bad as far as journalism is concerned but they are not in the same league as Detroit.  I don't receive CBC Windsor, but what I have seen is not too exciting.

Hard to compare Windsor and Detroit.  Windsor/Essex is a small market of about 410,000 people compared to Detroit and area of about 4.5 million so we are not comparing equals.  I would think that both CBC Windsor and CTV Windsor newscasts likely don't do bad in the ratings, too bad that CTV Windsor is pre-empted so much though. 

June 4, 2022 9:59 am  #11

ED1 wrote:

I thought Bell had cancelled the weekend editions of CTV News Windsor. When did they bring it back?

In January 2014 they started to do their own weekend news at 6 and at 11 the regional news was done out of CTV London's newsroom. Someone did mention they cancelled the weekend for CTV Windsor along with CTV Vancouver Island during the job cuts at Bell Media in February 2021. But sometime in late March of 2021 they started to do the weekend news out of Windsor, I thought Windsor's weekend news was cancelled but someone was wrong. Then they had a couple of times they do the regional news out of London and Windsor. I guess it must the same news director for London and Windsor. 

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (June 12, 2022 9:40 pm)

June 4, 2022 11:59 am  #12

It's better now. They used to rely a lot on CTV Barrie. Instead of paying someone in London to go out and get the news, they would feature a story about a broken parking meter in Bracebridge.

They don't do that so much anymore.

June 5, 2022 1:03 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

We need to remember for about five and a half months the London and Windsor weekend evening news is not broadcast because of NFL football on CTV2. 

Detroit news is very slick with nice sets and good on air talent.  Fox Detroit does a huge amount of news daily about 12 hours starting at 3am.  Detroit hardly ever covers Windsor news, unless it is something that would impact Detroit.  I receive the Detroit stations and Windsor is not mentioned much in the news unless it impacts the border or the new bridge. They may cover a big event in Windsor that people in Detroit would attend.  Sometimes Windsor isn't even included in the weather map!. 

The CTV Windsor news isn't bad as far as journalism is concerned but they are not in the same league as Detroit.  I don't receive CBC Windsor, but what I have seen is not too exciting.

Hard to compare Windsor and Detroit.  Windsor/Essex is a small market of about 410,000 people compared to Detroit and area of about 4.5 million so we are not comparing equals.  I would think that both CBC Windsor and CTV Windsor newscasts likely don't do bad in the ratings, too bad that CTV Windsor is pre-empted so much though. 

I often found that if any of the Detroit stations covered something in Windsor, it was WDIV.

I remember one time in 2008 on a Sunday evening when some particularly severe storms were moving through Michigan into SW Ontario, and there was barely a mention of it on CFPL/CHWI’s regional news at 6, even saying something like “tune in at 11 for more about the storms”. Meanwhile WDIV in Detroit was pre-empting NBC Nightly News with weather coverage, and even did a rundown of all the Environment Canada warnings in Ontario (though their weatherman misidentified Leamington as “Lexington”) in addition to all the NWS warnings in Michigan. Being a Sunday, CBC Windsor would have had nothing at all. It was an interesting case of Detroit media paying more attention to Windsor than Windsor media.

This was around the time a tornado hit around Lucan - might have been the same storm, I don’t remember.

WDIV does have a Canadian on their reporting staff who used to report for CHWI and later CFPL (Priya Mann, originally from the GTA) - so that may also have a bit of influence in their newsroom.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (June 5, 2022 1:11 pm)

June 5, 2022 1:38 pm  #14

CTV London/Windsor are on a skeleton crew, weekends. A neclear attack wouldn't get mentioned until Monday, unless Barrie was the target of the attack.

June 6, 2022 9:31 am  #15

turkeytop wrote:

CTV London/Windsor are on a skeleton crew, weekends. A neclear attack wouldn't get mentioned until Monday, unless Barrie was the target of the attack.

The biggest thing about weekend news on CTV London and Windsor is that they are pre-empted at 6pm so much by NFL football, usually on both Saturday and Sunday during the season.  You are right turkeytop, they run pretty skinny on the weekends.  

Don't watch Detroit news that much, but I almost never see anything about Windsor or Essex county on their newscasts.  The only coverage pertaining to Windsor I remember was something about the new international bridge which is being built between the two cities, the truckers blocking the border a few months back, and the July 1st/4th fireworks festival.

The Detroit stations usually don't even show Windsor, Chatham, Sarnia or London on their local weather map, but do show larger Canadian cities when they zoom back but no temperatures.  

June 11, 2022 6:13 pm  #16

Watching the local news after the Canadian Open on CTV2. Both London and Windsor have separate newscasts and reports from their respective studios. 

June 25, 2022 8:02 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

Watching the local news after the Canadian Open on CTV2. Both London and Windsor have separate newscasts and reports from their respective studios. 

Tonight we are back in Windsor again.

July 3, 2022 12:22 pm  #18

And Reta Ismail is doing the Windsor news out of London mp images com

July 3, 2022 1:06 pm  #19

And last weekend the newscast was out of Windsor, the week before that it was separate.  Mon-Friday CTV Windsor and London have separate casts at least for 6pm and usually at 11.  Weekends it seems to be a free for all.  When the NFL fires up again, almost all of the 6pm casts are cancelled on weekends because of the game, even some 11pm depending on the schedule. 

October 8, 2022 8:55 pm  #20

CTV London's Carlyle Fiset was doing the London news out of the CTV Windsor studio for some reason tonight. Also you can see CTV Windsor's Sija Liu sitting on the computer while Carlyle does the London news

upload photos online

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (October 8, 2022 9:58 pm)

October 9, 2022 8:28 am  #21

That is weird that they'd send the anchor to Windsor to do the London news. 

Carlye Fiset is an excellent anchor, dare I say much better than the main Mon-Fri anchor Rita Ismail (in my humble opinion). She has a great back story but he is far a more professional broadcaster. 

October 9, 2022 11:57 am  #22

zed wrote:

That is weird that they'd send the anchor to Windsor to do the London news. 

Carlye Fiset is an excellent anchor, dare I say much better than the main Mon-Fri anchor Rita Ismail (in my humble opinion). She has a great back story but he is far a more professional broadcaster. 

I agree but I wish they let Carlyle do the 11 PM regional news for a change. He does the 6 PM weekend news than at 11 it is over to Windsor with Sija Liu. Fun Fact he came from CTV Edmonton.

October 9, 2022 9:44 pm  #23

He is in Windsor again tonight. What is going on?

October 11, 2022 9:32 am  #24

My bet is availability combined with cost cutting.    The anchors who are available only in Windsor, host from Windsor, while the Anchors available from London are hosting from London.   I'm not sure if this is still the case, but before the control room was in London for both Windsor and London, so realistically being based in either city doesn't matter for support staff, but anchors perhaps under contract have a right to use either studio.  It's for sure cost cutting, as Windsor and London in my opinion should be operated from studios on their own, but in this case, Windsor and London have always had this weird relationship and at one point didn't even run studios in the Windsor market before CHUM owned the station, only now London viewers see Windsor studios more.   Windsor has had London studios for a very long time showing up. 

Last edited by radiokid (October 11, 2022 9:34 am)

October 11, 2022 1:12 pm  #25

On holidays CTV London shuts down their news department. Usually they just show E Talk.

If the world ends on a holiday weekend, London won't hear about it until the following week. But we'll know all about Madonna's orgasm and Wille Nelson's pedicure.

Last edited by turkeytop (October 11, 2022 1:41 pm)

October 30, 2022 12:52 am  #26

turkeytop wrote:

There was in fact a skeleton news anchor on the CTV London desk at the end of tonight's 11 PM news 2013 camaro 1le 0 60

November 25, 2022 7:59 pm  #27

paterson1 wrote:

Yesterday CTV London and Windsor did a webcast because of the NFL on CTV2. At 11 it was regional news for London and Windsor like you see on the weekends. But this time it was done out of London when on weekends it is usually done out of Windsor but I was surprised to see Jaden Lee Lincoln do the London and Windsor news.

how to measure screen size on a tablet

November 25, 2022 8:39 pm  #28

They also last night had a seperate weather report for Windsor, immediately after the London weather report, with a different personality giving the report.

November 25, 2022 9:50 pm  #29

turkeytop wrote:

They also last night had a seperate weather report for Windsor, immediately after the London weather report, with a different personality giving the report.

And it was Gary Archibald. It was interesting to see the 11 o'clock newscast done like that last night. But what was weird is that during the weather segment with Julie Atchison they promote their radio stations like Virgin Radio Pure Country etc. They promoted 97.5 Virgin Radio London on the Windsor news. Like 97.5 Virgin Radio does not even reach Windsor.

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (November 25, 2022 9:53 pm)

February 4, 2023 8:54 pm  #30

It looks like golf is to blame for these preempted newscasts on CTV 2 Windsor, London and Barrie. But for some reason they did not bother to do a webcast for London. They did do one for Windsor and Barrie. I think they axed the weekend news for London? That is my guess.