sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2022 8:08 pm  #1

Do Private Stations See CBC Radio As A Competitor?

I ask because I just heard a long spot during the Jays game promoting all the wonders of what's available on CBC Radio 1 and Radio 2. I understand how you might advertise their TV programming on the radio, but a competing station? Perhaps those listening to the Fan are perceived not to be big CBC consumers. 

But as an old P.D. used to say, if they're listening to them, they're not listening to you. I was frankly surprised to hear a commercial station promote a rival, even if was paid for.  

June 30, 2022 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Do Private Stations See CBC Radio As A Competitor?

This is probably part of some deal between CBC and Rogers relating to hockey. I always see CBC TV promos on Citytv outside of hockey games. 

June 30, 2022 8:49 pm  #3

First time I've heard it on a Jays game. Although I don't always tune in, so it may have run before. Just seems odd. 

By the way, as a non-Sportsnet subscriber, nice to be able to see the game for free on YouTube.

June 30, 2022 10:24 pm  #4

A station with a specific format and dedicated listeners probably doesn't need to feel threatened by CBC.

The farm tractor dealer doesn't consider the sports car dealer down the street as competition.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 30, 2022 10:57 pm  #5

Private radio cares most about the advertising dollars.  Since CBC radio doesn't have advertising the privates don't really think of them as a competitor.  Sure CBC competes for ratings, but the advertising dollars trump ratings.  Commercial stations are more than happy to take the advertising money from CBC radio or TV.  And since CBC radio has so limited air time for self promotion, they rely on commercial media to a certain extent to get their name out. 

July 1, 2022 12:47 am  #6

I remember when CKO radio was running newspaper ads saying if you listen to CKO you don't need to read the newspaper. Some papers refused to carry the ads.

I like my radio and I like my paper. One could never replace the other.

Last edited by turkeytop (July 1, 2022 1:15 am)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 3, 2022 2:51 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

But as an old P.D. used to say, if they're listening to them, they're not listening to you

I agree with that "old P.D.". I worked in commercial radio for 20 years and it always drove me up the wall that most in the industry didn't see CBC as a competitor. The thinking being 'they can't take AD dollars away because they don't sell AD's'.

But your AD rates are determined by how many people are listening and if CBC is taking ears away, then yes, this DOES affect your ad revenue.