sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2022 5:19 pm  #1

Good Or Bad Idea? Streamer To Show Entire MLB Game Without Announcers

Imagine turning on your TV or computer and watching nine innings of baseball without anyone describing the action on the field. We won't be able to see it here, but NBC-owned Peacock in the U.S. is planning to stream an upcoming Major League Baseball game without any narration at all. 

That doesn't mean you won't hear voices, though. There will be in-game reporters running around throughout the contest. 

"We’re going to take you out to the ballpark,” said [NBC Sports executive producer Sam] Flood... “We just want to be the ultimate fan’s experience and spend it like anyone else..."

"Besides featuring fans in the stands, the broadcast could also include a conversation with a scout about what they are looking for during games. There will also be a focus on youth baseball and softball, including a Little League player announcing the lineups."

Good idea? Terrible concept? Would you watch this or is play-by-play a necessary evil for a nine-inning TV game? I think it might get really tiresome, really fast. I believe this has been tried before and I don't think it was well received.

Peacock to stream Royals-Tigers game without announcers

June 26, 2022 6:49 pm  #2

Re: Good Or Bad Idea? Streamer To Show Entire MLB Game Without Announcers

NBC tried an announcer-free NFL game in 1980...

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 26, 2022 7:03 pm  #3

Re: Good Or Bad Idea? Streamer To Show Entire MLB Game Without Announcers

bad idea - at the part there are things going on to fill in the dead spots.