sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2022 4:04 pm  #1

John Oakley Issues Unexpected Apology During Pride Week

It doesn't appear to be a CBSC ordered announcement, but something John Oakley apparently said on AM 640 in the recent past led to a very odd and unexpected on-air apology Thursday afternoon. Just before 4 PM, an obviously previously recorded 30 sec. "spot" came on, in which the long time Corus host said he was sorry for using the term "transgenderism," which he now says is offensive to some in the community. 

He vowed to continue "learning" more and thanked those who pointed out his faux pas. 

Clearly, they'd had some complaints and decided to get ahead of this before it got any worse. To be honest, I'm not even sure "transgenderism" is an actual word. I may have something to learn as well!

June 23, 2022 6:14 pm  #2

Re: John Oakley Issues Unexpected Apology During Pride Week

RadioActive wrote:

It doesn't appear to be a CBSC ordered announcement, but something John Oakley apparently said on AM 640 in the recent past led to a very odd and unexpected on-air apology Thursday afternoon. Just before 4 PM, an obviously previously recorded 30 sec. "spot" came on, in which the long time Corus host said he was sorry for using the term "transgenderism," which he now says is offensive to some in the community. 

He vowed to continue "learning" more and thanked those who pointed out his faux pas. 

Clearly, they'd had some complaints and decided to get ahead of this before it got any worse. To be honest, I'm not even sure "transgenderism" is an actual word. I may have something to learn as well!

I was curious RadioActive, so I looked it up.

GLAAD states the word transgenderism is used by anti-transgender activists and that's the reason it is considered offensive by some in the community, and why Mr. Oakley would have made a statement.

And thanks RA, for the chance to learn something new, and hopefully become a better ally.

Last edited by betaylored (June 23, 2022 6:19 pm)

June 23, 2022 6:58 pm  #3

I've honestly never heard the term. Thanks for looking it up. 

I wonder if they'll air this apology again or if this was the one and only time. 

June 26, 2022 3:11 pm  #4

Looking at the number of page views, I suspect this got on the radar of some LGBTQetc. groups, who made it go somewhat viral. I've never seen a post explode as quickly as this one - now with over 4,000 views and counting. Interesting. 

June 27, 2022 10:39 am  #5

It's a great day for Oakley's unique blend of mealy-mouthed bigot-lite horsepuckey.