sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2022 9:05 pm  #1

CFRA/ CTV News Channel

I've noticed CTV News Channel Audio has been on 580 CFRA Ottawa since this afternoon . What up ?

June 25, 2022 7:58 pm  #2

Re: CFRA/ CTV News Channel

Sonomag wrote:

I've noticed CTV News Channel Audio has been on 580 CFRA Ottawa since this afternoon . What up ?

Probably Bell's cost cutting measures?? I wish Bell Media would understand that local programming is important to the local community. Bell needs to stop laying off local personalities and keep local personalities on air to bring local news and shows.

June 26, 2022 1:56 pm  #3

Doing it again (Sun June 26 ) this afternoon .

June 26, 2022 2:38 pm  #4

CTV News Channel audio is OK for me in Mississauga.  I'm on Bell Fibe.
A few thoughts:
Are you in Ottawa, and possibly on Rogers?
Have you inadvertently enabled the SAP audio channel (that's a long shot as I don't know if CTV New Channel has CFRA audio on the SAP secondary channel in Ottawa)

June 26, 2022 2:49 pm  #5

In Phase wrote:

A few thoughts:
Have you inadvertently enabled the SAP audio channel (that's a long shot as I don't know if CTV New Channel has CFRA audio on the SAP secondary channel in Ottawa)

I think you may have misread the original post. They're talking about CFRA Radio broadcasting CTV News Channel on AM 580, not hearing CFRA on TV via SAP.

What's interesting is that I just checked their website, and it says a sponsored real estate show is on right now (2 - 3 PM.) But the audio on the live web feed is definitely the News Channel.  

June 26, 2022 2:53 pm  #6

yup!   you are correct RA
the heat is getting to me! 

June 26, 2022 2:55 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

In Phase wrote:

A few thoughts:

I think you may have misread the original post. They're talking about CFRA Radio broadcasting CTV News Channel on AM 580, not hearing CFRA on TV via SAP.

What's interesting is that I just checked their website, and it says a sponsored real estate show is on right now (2 - 3 PM.) But the audio on the live web feed is definitely the News Channel.  

This is very serious. Either the "paid program" has ended their contract and did not renew, or Bell is having some technical issues they're trying to fix.
There is no way Bell would switch to audio of CTV news channel if someone is already willing to buy time...unless something very serious has happened in Ottawa... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 26, 2022 5:07 pm  #8

Also noticed on this Reddit thread but no firm answers on why. We shall see if they say anything on-air come Monday.

Last edited by AspectRatio (June 26, 2022 5:07 pm)

June 27, 2022 8:59 am  #9

I listened overnight Sunday/Monday and they had CTV News Channel AND an interview show on the air at the same time.  Very unprofessional for C-F-R-A.
Bell should be ashamed.  An example of corporate incompetence.

June 27, 2022 9:15 am  #10

Some good people have left CFRA suddenly (Leslie Roberts , Maddie Eisenberg , etc ) .... shape of things to come ?

June 27, 2022 1:58 pm  #11

As far as I know, no explanation for "flipping the switch" to go with CTV News Channel from Friday through the weekend - as Ale Ont noted above, not without technical weirdness. I almost wondered if we'd see some rebrand rolled out this week and they were doing that all weekend to "out with the old" it. Strange.

Anyway, at least one new hire coming in later in July - CityNews Ottawa's Dani-Elle Dubé: