sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2022 7:16 pm  #1

Has Corus Completely Abandoned HD Radio?

I ask the question after realizing they've been playing a spot regularly that used to highlight AM 640's HD signal on 95.3. Now that same spot, with the same distorted sound effects, advises listeners who drive in areas where electrical interference is high, to download the RadioPlayer Canada app in order to get CFIQ in perfect quality. 

In fact, I can't remember the last time I've heard their HD signal even mentioned on 640, something they used to do all the time. Is that signal even still there? It sounds like they've given up on over-the-air for over the web. One, it seems, has lost steam while the other has gained stream. 

Their old HD page is no longer linked to on their website, although you can still see it here.

Do any other radio stations in the GTA still tout their HD signals on air?

June 23, 2022 9:24 pm  #2

Re: Has Corus Completely Abandoned HD Radio?

RadioActive wrote:

In fact, I can't remember the last time I've heard their HD signal even mentioned on 640, something they used to do all the time. Is that signal even still there?

Just checked, and yes; it's still there.

Promoting the apps makes way more sense.

June 24, 2022 11:14 am  #3

ZoomerMedia is still promoting HD Online.  Former PD of CFZM thought on-air promos were too confusing to their listeners.
From their website:
Coverage Area
Downtown Toronto96.7FM 
Toronto HD96.3 HD-2 
Kingston to Windsor, Parry Sound to Pittsburgh AM740 
Also Listen with a Smart Device

Last edited by tvguy (June 24, 2022 11:15 am)

June 24, 2022 11:32 am  #4

I listen to 640 on CING 95.3 HD-2 every day due to the interference I have with the AM band.  I haven't heard any promotions on HD radio on either NT1010 or AM640 for a long time.  Both stations promote using apps or smart speakers instead.

I don't think many people are aware of the existence of HD radio.

June 24, 2022 12:33 pm  #5

chrishch wrote:

I don't think many people are aware of the existence of HD radio.

Then give them away for free to listeners just for listening.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.