sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2022 12:55 pm  #1

What's The Most Popular Format On Radio?

These figures are from U.S. stations via Nielsen, but they offer some food for thought. As always, there's a lot of nuance in how you read the numbers, but here's the way it looks stateside. Is it the same in Canada? My guess would be, outside of Mexican/Spanish, which is virtually non-existent here, there are likely similarities. I'm just not sure if News/Talk would be so predominant here and there are far more stations in the U.S. than this country.

Format Report Card: Classic Hits, AC And Adult Hits Are Growing

June 21, 2022 2:51 pm  #2

Re: What's The Most Popular Format On Radio?

Last that I heard talk radio was also  the most popular format overall in Canada.  This could be skewed a bit by CBC Radio 1 which is mostly talk. However one survey I saw had CBC Radio in a separate category.

Interesting that the station with the highest daily audience in Toronto last rating was CityNews 680 (CFTR) with 556,000 listeners every day.  Montreal's highest rated station in terms of daily audience is also a talk/news station with 98.5 CHMP with a daily cume of 611,000 listeners and a 24% share. The station even has a 3.4% share with the anglo audience.   98.5 claims that they are the most listened to radio station in Canada. 

June 21, 2022 4:18 pm  #3

Careful spreading this information.. Country won't work in Toronto!!!

June 21, 2022 4:28 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

98.5 claims that they are the most listened to radio station in Canada. 

Checks out.

Funny enough, I'd argue that "most listened" shouldn't just factor CUME, but also Time Spent listening - so I looked it up and they're still #1. Then I thought since they're a commercial station, how do they factor in sales demos? Still #1.

#2 all ages factoring in Time Spent Listening is CBC Radio One Toronto, followed by Boom 97.3 and ICI Premiere Montreal.

Last edited by RadioAaron (June 21, 2022 4:28 pm)