sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2022 8:00 am  #1

Evan Carter & AM 740

I noticed Evan Carter wasn’t on the Afternoon Express late last week and his bio is no longer on AM740 website. Did I miss something? I thought he was doing a good job!

June 13, 2022 4:04 pm  #2

Re: Evan Carter & AM 740

I was out walking and  checked in at 2pm. No mention of the guy. 

June 13, 2022 4:38 pm  #3

Doesn’t hurt to ring up ZoomerMedia and ask.   Maybe they’re thinking he doesn’t fit in but if listeners call asking for him then they’ll know he has some fans and maybe will consider keeping him on (if they were thinking of getting rid of him)

June 13, 2022 4:50 pm  #4

Interesting. If you search on his name at the 740 website, you come up with page not found. But if you access the Afternoon Express page, you're greeted with this graphic. Perhaps they haven't updated it yet. 

June 14, 2022 4:14 pm  #5

Liz West was on today. 

June 15, 2022 7:19 am  #6

djwildbill wrote:

Doesn’t hurt to ring up ZoomerMedia and ask.   Maybe they’re thinking he doesn’t fit in but if listeners call asking for him then they’ll know he has some fans and maybe will consider keeping him on (if they were thinking of getting rid of him)

I emailed Zoomer Media about this but have not heard back.

June 15, 2022 1:59 pm  #7

On his Twitter feed ( https://twitter.com/evancartercmedy?lang=en ) he's around and retweeting like "normal" (including yesterday) - so no clue there on his next steps or some statement. The website he lists in his Twitter profile (evancarter.com) appears down.

June 21, 2022 7:08 am  #8

Shorty Wave wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

I heard back from Zoomer Media yesterday- “I’m sorry to say that he is no longer here” was their reply.
At least they got back to me!

June 21, 2022 8:25 am  #9

Shorty Wave wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

djwildbill wrote:

Doesn’t hurt to ring up ZoomerMedia and ask. Maybe they’re thinking he doesn’t fit in but if listeners call asking for him then they’ll know he has some fans and maybe will consider keeping him on (if they were thinking of getting rid of him)

I heard back from Zoomer Media yesterday- “I’m sorry to say that he is no longer here” was their reply.
At least they got back to me!

That phrase "no longer there" really resonates with me. A few decades ago, I was between jobs after the station I was at suddenly changed format and jettisoned most of the staff. (I can hear every broadcaster saying "been there, done that!")

So I started putting out feelers to various stations across the province looking for a new gig. One of the calls I made was to CJBK in London, where I talked to the guy in charge of hiring. It was one of those rare moments - this guy had heard of me, told me he knew of my work and really liked it and thought there was an opening I'd fit perfectly. It sounded too good to be true and I thought I was in!

He said, "Look call me next week, and you can come down to London and we'll talk about it."  Great! I had it in the bag. 

Next week came and I phoned the station and asked for the guy. "I'm sorry," the receptionist told me, "he's no longer with the station." My heart sank. "But he told me he was going to hire me." And when she connected me with the guy who took his place, I was told "we're not hiring now," and got the old meaningless, "but we'll keep your resume on file."

I never did work there, but it worked out for the best after I found a long-term position in Toronto and never needed to leave the city. But I'll always recall the first time I heard, "he's no longer with us," and how it changed that guy's life - and mine!

June 21, 2022 11:49 am  #10

I didn’t listen a lot to the Afternoon Express but I liked Evan.   I felt he and Eva got along well on-air and I liked how they laughed a lot at things.   It sounded good!   I wish Evan the best.

Last edited by djwildbill (June 21, 2022 11:49 am)

June 21, 2022 8:19 pm  #11

I agree with you djwildbill. It sounded like he and Eva D got along on-air plus he had a decent sense of humour. The last show l listened to Evan told an amusing tale about trying to buy jeans, and I could relate! I wish him the best as well.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (June 23, 2022 7:17 am)