sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2022 8:06 am  #1

John Moore Gets Mad On Air As 1st 'RB Roundtable Goes Off The Rails

Well, that's not something you hear every day - John Moore, back and all mellow from his week-long vacation driven into an angry chastisement by one of his Roundtable guests. It started when panelist Mark Warner went on a long rant about Justin Trudeau and it didn't stop for almost 10 minutes. 

Moore was forced to try and get a word in edgewise as Warner went on and on and on about his reasons for disliking the P.M. He actually made some good points, but the problem was he kept making the same ones over and over, without letting the other two panelists get a say. 

I have to admit it was entertaining to hear Moore try to get the train back on the track, which didn't happen until the last three minutes of the 13-minute segment. It's not often you hear that happen on the rather staid 1010, but when it does, it's very noticeable. 

I wonder how long it will be before Warner, a longtime regular guest, is invited back on the segment. But I have to admit, it was pretty entertaining while it lasted.

June 20, 2022 8:10 am  #2

Re: John Moore Gets Mad On Air As 1st 'RB Roundtable Goes Off The Rails

LOL .. you typed a tad quicker than me .. 

Here's my post from the other thread ..

g121 wrote:

Time for Mark Warner on  Newstalk 1010 to be gone.

Mark Warner has always been somewhat overbearing & obnoxious but today's 7:50am roundtable takes the cake.  

When over-congenial host John Moore has to shout you down since you haven't let anyone else speak for 10 minutes without interruption, you need to be gone.  Insulting fellow panelists/host & constantly over-talking them makes for terrible radio.  Learn what adult discourse is.  Want to behave like a bombastic boor, go on Agar's show or become a MAGA/Trumper.   

but no, this is NOT entertaining radio .. it's juvenile .. i like listening to people who behave like adults.

June 20, 2022 8:18 am  #3

What I meant by entertaining is that it was impossible to turn it off. But it's not just the guy on the right who was guilty of this.

I was watching "Real Time" with Bill Maher on Friday and the extreme left wing guest on his panel, a woman with the unlikely name of Krystal Ball, kept yakking so much and overtalking the host and the other panelist that it became tiresome - and that was an hour-long show! Try as he might, Maher could not shut her up and worse, she refused to talk about the topics he tried to introduce.   

My point is that both sides have to learn how to listen. Sometimes, there are other voices in the room. On 'RB and HBO these past few days, they weren't allowed to be heard. I think we won't hear Warner for a while, so he essentially silenced himself.

But you have to admit it was odd to hear Moore get that angry on air. He's usually pretty even-keeled, even at the most outrageous of times. On Monday, he lost it and for good reason. 

June 20, 2022 8:36 am  #4

If you missed the Moore in the Morning mayhem, it's now online here. The Warner monologue starts around the 3-minute mark. 

June 20, 2022 8:42 am  #5

I tuned out after about a minute of Warner's marblemouthed hysterics. Surprising that Moore lost control of the discourse for that long, though I thought he outlined the rationale for his irritation quite well after the break.

June 20, 2022 8:44 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

If you missed the Moore in the Morning mayhem, it's now online here. The Warner monologue starts around the 3-minute mark. 

"Ever go on an unhinged rant about the evils of Trudeau and felt a little leakage? Embarrassing, right?"

June 20, 2022 8:50 am  #7

It seems to me Warner has done this before. He got banned for a while, then was gradually brought back. (My memory is hazy, but didn't he verbally insult a city councillor, who was also a guest?). It will be interesting to find out if or when we'll hear him again. 

On second thought, maybe it was Mark Towhey, who's been repeatedly invited back as a fill-in host. So perhaps there won't be any consequences after all.

Last edited by RadioActive (June 20, 2022 8:54 am)

June 20, 2022 9:52 am  #8

This is nothing but more Americanization of our politics. Just what we need - personality attacks rather than policy debates.

How long will it be before Commie-Trudeau will be thrown around? Not long, I'd wager. So many rage-fueled rants. So little debate.

Thanks, Donald J. tRump.

June 21, 2022 10:03 am  #9

Forget the subject and who is wrong or right, it was great radio, much more entertaining than the standard Candian panel where each person says their piece and moves on. I will guarantee that 1010 will get rid of him. 

June 21, 2022 11:26 am  #10

Stinand wrote:

Forget the subject and who is wrong or right, it was great radio, much more entertaining than the standard Candian panel where each person says their piece and moves on. I will guarantee that 1010 will get rid of him. 

I vehemently disagree.  It was terrible radio.  If I want Jerry Springer, I'll watch Jerry Springer.

June 21, 2022 12:15 pm  #11

g121 wrote:

Stinand wrote:

I vehemently disagree.  It was terrible radio.  If I want Jerry Springer, I'll watch Jerry Springer.

I listened to the clip a few times and didn't find it entertaining at all.  Any guest who doesn't shut up or tries to steam roll the other panelists or callers to me is not a good debate.  I have seen and heard Mark Warner quite a few times, but this was not his finest hour.  He just kept repeating himself. I think he may still have a future on 1010.  They may give him a rest for a while but I wouldn't be surprised if he was back. The station has a habit of this.

Anyone remember Randy Taylor when he was on CFRB?  I thought the guy was awful, and was so confrontational with callers and guests.  His act grew very stale for me very quickly.  I believe he ran for the Reform Party at some point and didn't win.  Similar to Jerry Agar, Randy always sounded mad and liked to mock people who disagreed with him.

Once heard him interview Joe Clark.  Taylor didn't like Clark since he was too much of a red tory.  Clark gave it right back to Randy and the two really got into it on air.  After Clark left all Taylor did was whine about how unprofessional Joe Clark is and how he was a lousy guest for a talk show.  After that I never listened to his show again.  CFRB never had him back after he lost in the election.     

June 21, 2022 3:47 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

g121 wrote:

Stinand wrote:

The problem with Canadian talk radio is there is little debate its "person gives an opinion, next person gives an opinion."  YAWN. There is no thrust and parry try listening to US or UK talk radio much more exciting. Seems to me that no network is investing for a reason ..Lack of listeners? Wonder why ?

June 21, 2022 4:34 pm  #13

Randy Taylor Dumont - he was a DJ at HTZ-FM (and did some talk at CKTB in the same building) before he moved to CFRB.

As a DJ, he always seemed pretty "normal" but his persona seemed to change (or was revealed) when he moved to CFRB and then ran for Stockwell Day's Reform Party.

He's now a "performance coach": https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylormadeleadership/?originalSubdomain=ca

paterson1 wrote:

Anyone remember Randy Taylor when he was on CFRB?  I thought the guy was awful, and was so confrontational with callers and guests.  His act grew very stale for me very quickly.  I believe he ran for the Reform Party at some point and didn't win.  Similar to Jerry Agar, Randy always sounded mad and liked to mock people who disagreed with him.

Once heard him interview Joe Clark.  Taylor didn't like Clark since he was too much of a red tory.  Clark gave it right back to Randy and the two really got into it on air.  After Clark left all Taylor did was whine about how unprofessional Joe Clark is and how he was a lousy guest for a talk show.  After that I never listened to his show again.  CFRB never had him back after he lost in the election.     

June 21, 2022 4:47 pm  #14

Stinand wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

g121 wrote:

The problem with Canadian talk radio is there is little debate its "person gives an opinion, next person gives an opinion."  YAWN. There is no thrust and parry try listening to US or UK talk radio much more exciting. Seems to me that no network is investing for a reason ..Lack of listeners? Wonder why ?

Please give specific examples of US talk radio shows/hosts that you rate the best.

June 21, 2022 5:13 pm  #15

Ok, not a very specific question so here you go. Regardless of politics based on skill level and entertainment, Stern, Ramsey, Berry. 

Uk Vine, Humphry just about anybody on LBC specifically Obrien and Ferrari=16px and of course the gold standard  Richard/ David Dimbleby.. Though known for TV mainly but does do radio Norton.

Last edited by Stinand (June 21, 2022 5:14 pm)

June 22, 2022 1:14 am  #16

Larry King and Jim Bohannon are the gold standard in US radio.  Neither one ever resorted to partisan theatrics on their shows.

June 22, 2022 9:07 am  #17

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Larry King and Jim Bohannon are the gold standard in US radio.  Neither one ever resorted to partisan theatrics on their shows.

"Our political system gives the extremes too much of a say-so. We're very often given the choice between an off-the-wall, right wing whacko or some left-wing idiot. The result is that the sensible center - where things actually get done in this country – winds up having to choose from the 'evil of two lessers."— Jim Bohannon

SOURCE: https://web.archive.org/web/20131103215433/http://media.radcity.net/zmst/insideradio/Interviews/BohannonArticle11-06.pdf (top of page 3)

September 1, 2022 8:28 am  #18

So Mark Warner does it again.  While not nearly as egregious as his debacle back in June, he once again resorts to insult as part of his reply.  He somewhat back peddled & said his reply that "he didn't get his science from Readers Digest" wasn't really an assertion his fellow lady panelist did.  Yeah, right .. he weaves insult into his replies all the time .. thankfully both John Moore & the lady panelist quickly called Mark on it.   

Personally, my view is that Round Table discussions would benefit from no Mark Warner .. and it's not that I often disagree with his view, it's due to his arrogant penchant for insult.