sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2022 12:55 pm  #1

I Wish Somebody Would Do This Kind Of Radio Event Here

Toronto has always been a great radio market - the biggest in Canada - but it often goes unheralded and unnoticed. Which is why I wish we had the facility and the spark to stage the kind of event scheduled for this summer at Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications. (In fact, I wish we had a Museum of Broadcast Communications!)

It's called Rock Radio Revisited and it will bring together a host of well-known Windy City and other influential American DJs, who played the music back when Top 40 AM was king. Here's the description of the show, which will be held in August.

"Former rock jock and WGN Radio's Wendy Snyder steers this trip down memory lane as John Records Landecker and Tommy Edwards reminisce about the golden age of rock radio, along with stories about the DJs, the fans, the gimmicks, vintage air checks and more! They’ll be joined by special guests and personalities across America including Gary Burbank, Cousin Brucie Morrow, Kris Erik Stevens, Bob Stroud, Connie Szerszen, Dyana Williams and Steve King."

Not every one of those is a household name in this part of the world, but many are - most know Cousin Brucie, have heard of Gary Burbank, and may recall Kris Erik Stevens from his years jocking at WLS. And of course, John Landecker served a brief morning stint right here at CFTR.

A lot of these guys are getting on in years, so it's important to hear their stories while they're still around. Too many of the ones we grew up with on CHUM and CKFH are gone. So just out of interest - if they held such a gathering here, which disc jockeys or hosts would you like to see honoured and brought back for a nighttime tribute? 

Among those still with us, I'm guessing it would be hard to omit Duff Roman, one of the few still standing from CHUM's 60s dominance. I really enjoyed Gill Harris (aka Doc Holiday) on the early rock version of CFTR. Not sure if J. Michael Wilson, who worked at both CHUM and CKFH, is still with us, but he'd be great to hear from, too.

I'm sure there are a ton more who just don't come to mind right now but have great stories to tell. I'm not a very social guy, but I'd definitely go to one of these things. 

Rock Radio Revisited: Legendary DJs of the 60s

June 17, 2022 1:03 pm  #2

Re: I Wish Somebody Would Do This Kind Of Radio Event Here

If you want the past, how about asking Mike Cooper to go on a Ferris wheel for old time sake?? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 17, 2022 1:46 pm  #3

Cooper would be an excellent guest at one of these gatherings. 

June 17, 2022 2:04 pm  #4

And in keeping with the "WNY" in SOWNY, if this could be extended to Buffalo radio, I'd love to hear the stories from Danny Neaverth, Sandy Beach and most especially, Joey Reynolds about their careers and the 'KB Radio days.

June 17, 2022 5:38 pm  #5

It would be nice to see such a thing before it's too late.

Apart from the ones you've already mentioned, it would be nice to hear from Dazzlin' Don again and Scott "The Boogie Man" Carpenter. Not to mention Chuck McCoy and Jim Van Horne.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 17, 2022 8:38 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

It would be nice to see such a thing before it's too late.

Apart from the ones you've already mentioned, it would be nice to hear from Dazzlin' Don again and Scott "The Boogie Man" Carpenter. Not to mention Chuck McCoy and Jim Van Horne.

And David Marsden.