sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2022 10:05 am  #1

Bell Slapped With $7.5 Million Fine For Actions Against A Competitor

This will do nothing but enrich the lawyers, but an independent ISP is suing Bell over the use of the word "Fibe," claiming it's too close to the word, "Fiber."

This nuisance lawsuit alleges that Fibe:

"lacks distinctiveness with only a one letter difference between FIBE and FIBER.  Canadian trademark regulations generally prohibit registration of marks which can be confused with common words such as "fiber" which is increasingly being used by providers globally when marketing their Internet services.  In order to ensure a successful challenge, SkyChoice has retained the services of one of the world's largest law firms."

OK, but I think their chances of winning this thing are slim to none. Still, anything that challenges Bell and forces them to waste their time and money can't be a bad thing. My prediction? It will be dismissed by the time it gets before a judge. But stranger things have happened and I guess we'll see. 

SkyChoice Communications launches challenge against Bell's FIBE trademark

June 14, 2022 3:26 pm  #2

Re: Bell Slapped With $7.5 Million Fine For Actions Against A Competitor

Speaking of taking on Bell, I love this guy.

"Of all the problems I hear about from readers, I get more email about Bell equipment on private property than any other. Gyurkovics is far from alone in wanting Bell to stop occupying or trespassing on his property, but he is the only person I’m aware of who was willing to pick a legal fight over it."

This homeowner doesn’t want Bell Canada poles, wires or workers on his property. He’s taking the telecom to court to stop it

June 15, 2022 11:10 am  #3

It's amazing how many stories about Bell have surfaced this week. And the latest will be neither pointless nor fun for the giant telecom. The CRTC has fined them $7.5 million for harming one of its competitors in Quebec. 

I'm just surprised they found them guilty of anything, given the Commission's apparent sympathies and protectionist policies for giants like Bell & Rogers. It's a lot of money, but for an entity like Bell, it's probably a drop in the bucket. 

More details here. 

June 15, 2022 11:41 am  #4

The Fibe vs Fiber issue, I see some point to what they are getting at..    The Fibe brand was made to confuse the consumer to think what they are getting if fiber internet vs what it really is..   Fiber fed internet to the box up the road and connected to your home with old copper wires.   All internet rides fiber now...  but after having a very lengthy chat with someone who swears he got sold fiber to the home from bell when it actually was nothing but dsl service over copper, it proves this marketing works.   (btw he has nothing but issues due to the condition of the copper line part of the run)

As for the guy who doesn't want wires running in his back yard...   that case will flat out be thrown out.    The wires/polls have what is covered as "the right of way".   I also bet those wires/polls had been there before he moved into his home.    Even if the wires had been installed underground, the box will still need to be accessed which is why "right of way" exists.  With this right of way, they have legal rights to access it, and you can't just refuse access to their equipment if they are required to do work.  This case will be thrown out I bet! 

Last edited by radiokid (June 15, 2022 12:58 pm)

June 15, 2022 1:42 pm  #5

The cable over his property feeds customers, so will likely be allowed, but I would raise a question about the equipment box that needs so many service visits.  

Last edited by Ian (June 15, 2022 1:44 pm)

June 15, 2022 5:18 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

OK, but I think their chances of winning this thing are slim to none.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  According to Freedom Fibers who are helping them out with their public legal fund, they were actually sued first by Bell back in 2020, most likely due to them marketing their fixed wireless Internet service as WIFIBE.

So this appears to be a counterclaim for them to defend their brand and with all that happened as a result of COVID, it is certainly reasonable that they were delayed in doing so up until now.

On their website, they describe WIFIBE as wireless fiber Internet provided by their network of fiber fed towers, so it is certainly reasonable that they would abbreviate it as WiFi Fiber or WiFibe in their branding.

Basically, as it stands now, any telecom provider risks getting sued by Bell if they use all or part of the word "Fiber" in their branding.

Last edited by PwrSurge (June 15, 2022 5:21 pm)

June 15, 2022 5:28 pm  #7

radiokid wrote:

The Fibe vs Fiber issue, I see some point to what they are getting at..    The Fibe brand was made to confuse the consumer to think what they are getting if fiber internet vs what it really is..   Fiber fed internet to the box up the road and connected to your home with old copper wires.   All internet rides fiber now...  but after having a very lengthy chat with someone who swears he got sold fiber to the home from bell when it actually was nothing but dsl service over copper, it proves this marketing works.   (btw he has nothing but issues due to the condition of the copper line part of the run)

This is indeed a valid point and in fact, Bell already got into a class action lawsuit in Quebec exactly for this reason and ended up paying 2 million dollars to settle the case.