sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2022 2:14 pm  #1

Major Free U.S. TV Streamer Heading To Canada After Corus Deal

Anyone with a VPN may be familiar with Paramount-owned Pluto TV. It's one of those online - and most importantly, totally free - streaming services that offers tons of TV and movies, some new, many old and others rare. It's been accessible in a very limited way in Canada, but now promises to open up a whole new world of programming after it signed a deal with Corus to debut here this fall.

"Launching with more than 100 unique, curated channels and over 20,000 hours of content, the service will offer a full spectrum of free programming including drama, comedy, lifestyle, kids, movies, around-the-clock news, and more."

The deal will also see Corus shows added to the extensive line-up.

It remains to be seen if everything will be available here that the U.S. gets, but hopefully it will be an exact duplicate, in addition to the coming Canadian additions. 

If you don't have a VPN, you can check out a limited version of the site here

So what's already there? My head nearly exploded when I saw every season of Rowan& Martin's Laugh-In on there, one of my all time favourites and unseen in its entirety for decades. On demand old TV shows include Gunsmoke, Stargate Atlantis, Sanford & Son, Perry Mason, Kids In The Hall and more. 

Movies range from Star Trek: Beyond to Face-Off and Ali. There are also sections for Westerns, Horror, Crime, Comedy, Drama and more. 

There's a CBS Selects section, which offers some of the network's current shows, like the "FBI's," but it's not clear if those will be allowed into this country - although Corus-owned Global has the rights to them here. 

One of the things that's always bothered me about TV in Canada is the border that makes it possible to get everything down south and a restricted amount here. I realize it's about rights and money, but dammit, I just want to watch TV! Hopefully, this will go some distance to helping resolve that imbalance.

And maybe it will spur other giants - like the great Tubi.tv, which is also free, to head north of the border in the future. 

PlutoTV To Launch With Corus In Canada This Fall

June 8, 2022 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Major Free U.S. TV Streamer Heading To Canada After Corus Deal

It's kinda neat. They carry rubbish like Newsmax and RT but also channels dedicated to MST3K, so that's nice.

June 8, 2022 3:54 pm  #3

The great thing is you get to pick and choose, so you can ignore what you disagree with. Plus, they add new shows and movies every month, so there's always something new to watch. Paramount, the owner, has access to a ton of material so I expect there will never be a shortage of original items to see.

June 8, 2022 4:01 pm  #4

Wait. I'm a little bit confused here. 
Is Pluto replacing  Stacked TV?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 8, 2022 4:03 pm  #5

That wasn't my impression. I doubt Corus would give up a pay service for a free one. My reading of it is that they will give some Stack TV shows to Pluto TV on a freebie basis, perhaps hoping to attract more subs to the online pay outlet.

June 8, 2022 9:32 pm  #6

About time. 

June 9, 2022 3:55 pm  #7

Thanks, RA. The price is right. ;-)

June 9, 2022 4:00 pm  #8

Corus has the rights for ad insertion, that's why it will be no charge.  I'll stick with the VPN and the US version.

June 9, 2022 4:04 pm  #9

Fox owns Tubi.tv, which so far is at least partly accessible in Canada without a VPN. It's owned by Fox and offers a ton of films and classic TV shows for free.

Will it ever make a deal with a Canadian company to make all of its offerings available here?

I guess time will tell.

Or you might say, Tubi or not Tubi? That is the question...

June 9, 2022 4:56 pm  #10

Tubi does have way more content with the VPN set to the US.  Seems all the services that come north are "crippleware"