sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2022 3:38 pm  #1

BT Host Calls Out Viewers For Asking If She's Pregnant

A video had viewers assuming something that wasn't true - and Melanie Ng gave them a piece of her mind on air about it. 

Canadian TV host calls out viewers for asking her if she's pregnant

June 7, 2022 9:46 pm  #2

Re: BT Host Calls Out Viewers For Asking If She's Pregnant

Too many Tim Biebs?

June 7, 2022 9:52 pm  #3

In the article, she blames it on the burritos.

June 8, 2022 1:08 pm  #4

So I would normally ignore when people make stupid comments on this board... but I have to ask...  Would you walk up to someone on the street and make this comment to you or your wife?   Your mom?    Social media is no different..   If you make these comments, it says more about you than it does about the person you are making the comment to.     You may find this funny, but I don't think its acceptable adult behavior that anyone should be proud of, especially when you don't know the person personally.   Chances are if you said it to someone on the street you are going to get punched in the face.. and I can't say I blame the person doing it, and would not come to your defense.     This reminds me of the F-HER-IN-THE-P guy who a reporter from City turned on and made him famous and he ended up getting fired... OH BOO HOO!

Time to grow up gents. 

Last edited by radiokid (June 8, 2022 1:09 pm)

June 8, 2022 2:47 pm  #5

radiokid wrote:

So I would normally ignore when people make stupid comments on this board... but I have to ask...  Would you walk up to someone on the street and make this comment to you or your wife?   Your mom?    Social media is no different..   If you make these comments, it says more about you than it does about the person you are making the comment to.

I agree with all you've written and it's "poor form" indeed to make such comments. The only aspect I wanted to add that you didn't touch on is that people have long (decades) felt a certain "connection" to TV and radio personalities - they're in their homes, cars, showers (shower radios), on the phone in the palm of their hand, being listened to when waking up or before going to bed at night, etc.  People feel like they "know" the hosts (even if they don't) and a host's job is a certain congenial, welcome "familiarity".

That, of course, doesn't give anyone any excuse for social media comments but some people are just thoughtless and go "Oh..." in realization or horror when it's first pointed out to them. They're used to interacting or posting about that radio or TV personality the same as they might for someone in their immediate social media circle of friends and don't even think twice. People thinking more is a good goal I'd say. 

June 8, 2022 2:51 pm  #6

If you read the linked article, Ng herself isn't positive the posts were all made to be derogatory or a comment on her personal appearance.

"The BT host acknowledged that there probably wasn't any ill intent to those comments and that most were trying to be complimentary."

That could be P.R. spin, but it shows she was mostly overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the comments, not necessarily any bad motives associated with them.

June 8, 2022 3:25 pm  #7

AspectRatio wrote:

radiokid wrote:

So I would normally ignore when people make stupid comments on this board... but I have to ask...  Would you walk up to someone on the street and make this comment to you or your wife?   Your mom?    Social media is no different..   If you make these comments, it says more about you than it does about the person you are making the comment to.

I agree with all you've written and it's "poor form" indeed to make such comments. The only aspect I wanted to add that you didn't touch on is that people have long (decades) felt a certain "connection" to TV and radio personalities - they're in their homes, cars, showers (shower radios), on the phone in the palm of their hand, being listened to when waking up or before going to bed at night, etc.  People feel like they "know" the hosts (even if they don't) and a host's job is a certain congenial, welcome "familiarity".

That, of course, doesn't give anyone any excuse for social media comments but some people are just thoughtless and go "Oh..." in realization or horror when it's first pointed out to them. They're used to interacting or posting about that radio or TV personality the same as they might for someone in their immediate social media circle of friends and don't even think twice. People thinking more is a good goal I'd say. 

I remember riding the TTC once about 5-6 years ago during morning rush hour, when a young woman boarded who was maybe a tad overweight but not that much so. I saw a middle-age woman sitting on one of the blue seats, and she offered the younger woman her seat, making some comment about her pregnancy - but she was really polite about it. The younger woman immediately snapped “I’m not pregnant!” It was an awkward sight, to say the least.

June 8, 2022 3:59 pm  #8

I've been in a TV newsroom since before the computer age and I remember when we used to have a receptionist specifically to answer viewer comments and questions. We had a female co-anchor, fairly well known in the city, and by far, she would receive the most viewer reaction - but not for anything she did professionally. 

People would comment on how much they hated her hairstyle, her dress, the make-up, the shoes - you name it, they'd criticize it, sometimes viciously. I hate to say it was almost always women who phoned with these unnecessary critiques, but it mostly was. I suppose guys simply don't notice or care about stuff like that. It was a real relief when someone called to complain about the actual content! 

Sad to see not much has changed over the years. They just have a new way to express it - and more people get to see it and share it. 

The unfortunate truth seems to be that technology changes - people don't. 

June 9, 2022 10:57 am  #9

I have always had a problem with TV people who, in part, get their jobs because of a certain 'look' and then complain when they are judged on it...don't preach to me about body image and fashion...I'm betting 99% of these people just made a dumb mistake and feel they have this personal affinity towards these personalities and can make personal comments because they watch them daily...I can only imagine how many TV guys are called out for being fat or old on their social platforms as well....part of the gig you signed up for....