sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2022 11:01 pm  #1

They Just Can't Get Good Graphics People Anymore...

June 7, 2022 12:17 am  #2

Re: They Just Can't Get Good Graphics People Anymore...

RadioActive wrote:

makes a nice change from the everyday constant misuse of reign when it ought to be rein

June 7, 2022 7:05 am  #3

I once did graphics for a Toronto TV station's newscast so I know how easy it is to make a mistake with the hundreds of them you have in each show. Although this looks more like ignorance or carelessness.

In fact, I DID use this same idea once. After a Blue Jay tossed a no-hitter, we aired clips from him about it. And the caption was "Speech From The Thrown."  

But at least we did that one on purpose!

June 7, 2022 9:45 am  #4

Hi RA,
Remember this...
Ida Spencer vs Eye Dispenser
NASA vs Nassau
It happened on CityPulse

June 7, 2022 11:22 am  #5

The Foxer wrote:

Hi RA,
Remember this...
Ida Spencer vs Eye Dispenser
NASA vs Nassau
It happened on CityPulse

I don't remember the Nassau vs. Nasa one, but definitely, Ida Spencer Missing has been noted here in the past. Unfortunately, the poster, who by some twist of fate actually had a picture of it, used an online imaging site that switched to a pay-only service and pulled the .jpg off of it, so it's no longer visible.

But it's out there somewhere!

June 7, 2022 1:54 pm  #6

Producers plug in these graphics now. There's no separate graphics person to input check these. They were probably in a hurry to write up these promos. Maybe another producer, or the newscast director may spot these, but other than that it's likely these go to air unchecked. 

June 7, 2022 2:09 pm  #7

I used to get cue sheets physically written in pen by either a reporter or an editor. (This was in the very early computer era and there were no interfaces from the studio.) The ignorance and carelessness on some of them were simply astounding. Two I specifically recall (which I caught and fixed) were:

Mayor Al Lastman/Toronto (instead of Mel)

and particularly disturbing was one that read:

Jerusalem, Beirut. 

I can only imagine what might have happened had that one gone out on air!