sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2022 3:03 pm  #1

CBC & CBC Gem Unveil New Summer & Fall Shows

As most here know, I'm not a huge fan of the TV programming offered by the Corp., but for those who are, the list of what Canada's national broadcaster is planning both on the tube and online is now out. 

There are a host of new shows and documentaries, including a plethora of programs dedicated to what seems to have become several of the network's favourite topics, Indigenous subjects and Queer culture. I have no objection to either, but there really does seem to be an awful lot of both turning up on their services and I'm just surprised there aren't more about climate change!

I've looked through the list and there are only two that might be of interest to me - one called "Plan B", about a character who is able to travel back in time and change the future. It's adapted from a CBC French drama but it won't be on until Winter 2023.

And the other is a documentary called "Summit '72" which is about the excitement and hoopla that surrounded the legendary Canada-Russia hockey summit series, possibly the most memorable sporting event in Canadian history that wound up taking on a life of its own. It promises never-before-seen footage from the event and will debut as a 4-part series on Wednesday nights in the fall.

All the CBC shows will be available on GEM, but there are several that will "air" only on the web. Many are imported from Australia and have never been available in North America before. 

Will any of these be enough to bring you back to the CBC? Here's the list so you can decide for yourself:

CBC-TV Unveils 2022-2023 Programming Slate

Shows Coming To CBC Gem In June

June 1, 2022 7:05 pm  #2

Re: CBC & CBC Gem Unveil New Summer & Fall Shows

When you look at the day by day breakdown on CBC it looks like a fairly strong prime time schedule.  I forgot how much sports CBC still has on the weekends, even Saturday and Sunday afternoon.  The "plethora" of Indigenous and Queer focused programming is more on CBC Gem than the main network. 

This schedule seems much more complete and varied than what NBC, CBS, Fox and ABC have put out so far.  Global and CTV are yet to come.   Will Canadians watch?  Probably not, but they also are watching a lot less what the big four US networks are putting out.   Actually even with the lower numbers, US primetime scripted shows are holding up much better here than south of the border.  Still hard to believe that shows are getting renewed with only 2 to 4 million viewers.  

As mentioned yesterday with the exception of CBS the US OTA networks seem to have given up on Friday as well as Saturday based on what they have released so far.  And if it wasn't for NFL football, Sunday would be a wasteland as well.  Ever since the Super Bowl, Sunday has been a disaster for the US OTA networks. 

So who knows?  CBC may do better this coming season ratings wise with their mostly domestic schedule, with no simsub on any programming.   The corp. does have a serious problem with promotion of their programming however.  Corus and Bell Media have a tremendous advantage with all of their various cable and specialty channels for cross promo, in addition to all of the promo on their commercial radio stations. 

June 2, 2022 2:23 pm  #3

Surprised Run the Burbs got a second season. The ratings were in the basement.

June 2, 2022 3:01 pm  #4

I pay to subscribe to Gem, commercial free and NewsNetwork access, (no cable here) and I have to admit, I have found some pretty interesting shows on the service!

June 2, 2022 6:49 pm  #5

pinto wrote:

I pay to subscribe to Gem, commercial free and NewsNetwork access, (no cable here) and I have to admit, I have found some pretty interesting shows on the service!

PEN15, Normal People, Documentary Now, and Stath Lets Flats well worth it.

Last edited by Holliday (June 2, 2022 6:49 pm)