sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2022 9:46 am  #1

Peter Shurman As You've Never Seen Him

Broadcast Dialogue Magazine (now on the web only) is celebrating 30 years of keeping the Canadian radio and TV industry up to date. To mark the occasion, it's set up a Facebook page asking veterans to submit their memories of the industry and their involvement in it. 

Which brings me to an old friend of the SOWNY Board, and a former CFRB and 640 host, Peter Shurman. The Shurminator, as he's sometimes called, has posted an amazing retrospective of his long career, along with a number of revealing pics of his early days. And I swear if I didn't know it was him, I would never have guessed. Check out the page here and then check out that pic (cigarette firmly in mouth) below.

It shows him in the CJAD control room in 1968 at the tender age of 21. If only he'd known then what he knows now!

June 2, 2022 9:54 am  #2

Re: Peter Shurman As You've Never Seen Him

Great link and recollections from Peter and those photos are fascinating. Based on this "tease" of a topic title before clicking into the thread I wondered if there was nudity.    The clothes stay on.

Nice initiative from Broadcast Dialogue - I think archiving memories/stories, photos and other materials from the past of the medium that many of us appreciate (and, for some, have worked in) is important and valuable.

June 2, 2022 10:12 am  #3

Re: Peter Shurman As You've Never Seen Him

I found it pretty interesting, too. If you're into radio recollections and old pics, there's a great Facebook site called "I Loved AM Radio," which has members putting up hundreds of pages of old photos, charts, shots of the stations and jocks they worked with and more. Much of it is American, but the occasional Canadian contributor sneaks in. That page can be found here. 

The same guy or group that runs that site also has another called "DJ Master Control" that features stunningly terrific pics from radio of the 60s and 70s from around North America. Always a fun visit if you have a second. But if you don't, I wouldn't go there - it's a tremendous time waster and an hour can go fly by, by the time you realize it. 

DJ Master Control