sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2022 3:11 pm  #1

Apple and MLB “Friday Night Baseball” doubleheader schedule

There's a Jays game on the list for May 27. Who has Apple TV??

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/03/apple-and-mlb-announce-friday-night-baseball-schedule-beginning-april-8/

Last edited by cash (March 30, 2022 3:12 pm)

March 30, 2022 3:53 pm  #2

Re: Apple and MLB “Friday Night Baseball” doubleheader schedule

I wonder if it will still air on the "local" broadcaster like the NFL deals do 

March 30, 2022 4:50 pm  #3

The 'excusive' You Tube games weren't on Sportsnet last season, so I suppose it depends on whether the Apple TV thing is 'exclusive'. I don't know why they do these deals that only deprive fans of the broadcast.... oh wait, I do know. They pay a lot of money for the rights to the game. 

Hopefully it's not an 'exclusive' deal and we can still watch on the TV channels we're already paying for but I have my doubts.

March 30, 2022 5:02 pm  #4

The Apple TV+ deal is exclusive to them, as far as I know, but an Apple TV+ subscription will not be required to watch it, at least to begin with.

March 30, 2022 5:39 pm  #5

Not sure what the deal says or whether this is still happening, but the Sportsnet page outlining their game broadcasts for the season does include the May 27th contest. It's a late west coast tilt against the Angels. 

March 31, 2022 11:53 pm  #6

April 1, 2022 12:22 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Not sure what the deal says or whether this is still happening, but the Sportsnet page outlining their game broadcasts for the season does include the May 27th contest. It's a late west coast tilt against the Angels. 

That being said, is it possible that Sportsnet is delivering the Canadian Jays viewpoint (with the Canadian announcers) while Apple TV delivers the American L.A. viewpoint? (with their LA announcers)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2022 4:58 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

That being said, is it possible that Sportsnet is delivering the Canadian Jays viewpoint (with the Canadian announcers) while Apple TV delivers the American L.A. viewpoint? (with their LA announcers)

While Sportsnet does include the May 27 game in its list;  the "media" is not specified.  It could be SN NOW and/or radio only coverage.

Last edited by Media Observer (April 1, 2022 9:15 pm)

April 8, 2022 3:29 pm  #9

The mystery deepens. According to TV columnist Bill Brioux, you may be able to watch some of the games on AppleTV+ without a subscription - although it's not clear how long that will last. 

"For a limited time, you won’t even need an AppleTV+ subscription to watch their new Friday Night Baseball coverage. Anyone in Canada, America, Australia, Mexico, the UK and several other regions with Internet access and an iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV or an Apple set top box, can watch."

Batter up as AppleTV+ takes swing at streaming MLB games

April 8, 2022 4:11 pm  #10

Media Observer wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

While Sportsnet does include the May 27 game in its list;  the "media" is not specified.  It could be SN NOW and/or radio only coverage.

Sure enough.  The updated schedule with full broadcast listings,  has the game coverge as Apple TV+ and SN590 only.

Toronto Blue Jays Schedule | Toronto Blue Jays (mlb.com)
(you don't have to click on a date,  just place the cursor over any of the days to get the info.)

Last edited by Media Observer (April 8, 2022 7:03 pm)

April 10, 2022 7:18 am  #11

Apparently, Apple's first attempt to broadcast baseball struck out with some viewers and did not get off to a very good start

May 27, 2022 7:47 pm  #12

so this is the night that the game is on apple tv only. 

May 27, 2022 8:50 pm  #13

cash wrote:

so this is the night that the game is on apple tv only. 

Yes.

May 27, 2022 9:48 pm  #14

May 27, 2022 11:03 pm  #15

May 28, 2022 12:41 pm  #16

We have Apple TV and watched the game. The broadcast was dreadful. Hated the announcers and commentators. And the music during the commercial breaks was nauseating.

May 28, 2022 12:48 pm  #17

I thought it was OK.  They had footage which I have never seen on Sportsnet of Alec Manoah pitching at university and Vladdy G, as a small boy, taking the bat from his dad.  Commentators were “no worse” than Matty Devlin - in my humble opinion.  Very good production values, particularly of the disputed slide into home that was over-ruled.  Benefit of watching on AppleTV, was the lack of nauseating online gambling ads, and constant promos for gambling sites, disguised as updates or scoreboards.  Seems as if some nights, almost 50% of inventory has been sold to gambling sites, and their ads are repetitive,  How many times do you need to see aaron paul or gretzky hyping a gambling site.  And while we’re at it, the caveman crypto ad is pretty tiresome afther the 50th time it’s aired in a sporting event on TSN or Sportsnet.   Just sayin’

May 28, 2022 5:27 pm  #18

I agree with alangee that tha Apple TV Jays telecast was dreadful.  It was totally amateurish and unprofessional.
The infographics were hard to follow and many times if you were just tuning in you would not know who was either hitting or pitching. The commentators' conversations most of the time were childish and irrelevant.  Highlights of other games were being shown while there was action on the field of the Jays game.....how about waiting for between innings for updates?  The whole presentation was definitely not "major league calibre".  I prefer the Sportsnet production, direction and on camera crew anytime over the Apple TV clowns.

May 29, 2022 10:42 pm  #19

mojo55 wrote:

I agree with alangee that tha Apple TV Jays telecast was dreadful.  It was totally amateurish and unprofessional.
The infographics were hard to follow and many times if you were just tuning in you would not know who was either hitting or pitching. The commentators' conversations most of the time were childish and irrelevant.  Highlights of other games were being shown while there was action on the field of the Jays game.....how about waiting for between innings for updates?  The whole presentation was definitely not "major league calibre".  I prefer the Sportsnet production, direction and on camera crew anytime over the Apple TV clowns.

That's interesting.  The broadcasts are produced by MLB Network and the on air people work on other MLB broadcasts.