sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2022 12:11 am  #1

Dan Shulman's Son To Make Radio Debut On Thurs. Jays Game

Well, that was quick. Just a few weeks after graduating from Syracuse University, where his proud pop was in attendance, Ben Shulman will be making his Major League debut on the Jays/Angels game Thursday night. He'll be in the radio booth subbing for Ben Wagner, while his father calls the action on TV. 

I have no idea if the kid is good or not, but talk about having great contacts! Not sure if this is the first time a father-son combo has ever called the same game over two different media, but I'll definitely be tuning in to hear if he sounds anything like his dad. 

Dan Shulman’s son Ben to make Blue Jays broadcast debut this week

May 26, 2022 8:26 am  #2

Re: Dan Shulman's Son To Make Radio Debut On Thurs. Jays Game

Great story.  I will be listening.  As for father son teams, I think Harry Carey, his son Skip and grandson Chip broadcast games.  I think Marty and son Thom Brennaman did the same.

May 26, 2022 9:21 am  #3

I think you're right about that list. Then there was Marv & Steve Albert, although they were brothers. But both were exceptional play-by-play talents. 

I have to admit I'm curious to hear what Shulman Jr. sounds like and if he inherited his father's considerable skills. I'll definitely be listening just to hear that.

May 26, 2022 11:04 am  #4

From the Wikipedia entry for Bill Hewitt:
"By 1958, the two Hewitts were working together in the television booth on Maple Leafs games. Foster eventually returned to radio and for the next two decades, Bill Hewitt was the TV voice of the Toronto Maple Leafs."

May 26, 2022 11:06 am  #5

Wow, can't believe I didn't think of those two, perhaps the most iconic in all of Canada. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

May 26, 2022 11:33 am  #6

Great points!!!  I was only thinking baseball/  There is the story that Ken Dryden took Foster and Bill Hewitt out for lunch.
When the bill came, Dryden cheerfully paid/
It was the father, son and goalie host.

May 26, 2022 12:59 pm  #7

Ale Ont wrote:

Great points!!!  I was only thinking baseball/  There is the story that Ken Dryden took Foster and Bill Hewitt out for lunch.
When the bill came, Dryden cheerfully paid/
It was the father, son and goalie host.

May 26, 2022 9:49 pm  #8

Not bad. I can hear his dad's influence although the son doesn't have Dan Shulman's deep voice. Still, I think he did a great job on the play-by-play. Another family dynasty in the making?

May 27, 2022 8:03 am  #9

Ben Shulman was fine.  He had some of the same phrases as Ben Wagner.  And where was Wagner?  I was looking forward to him on TV.  But Devlin was still there.  I am not a big fan of him doing baseball.  
Tonight's game is on Apple+  .How can I watch it free?

May 27, 2022 10:38 am  #10

Ale Ont wrote:

Ben Shulman was fine.  He had some of the same phrases as Ben Wagner.  And where was Wagner?  I was looking forward to him on TV.  But Devlin was still there.  I am not a big fan of him doing baseball.  
Tonight's game is on Apple+  .How can I watch it free?

Here's how.

May 27, 2022 11:31 am  #11

Thank you!!!

May 27, 2022 11:47 am  #12

Jack Buck and his son Joe, who later went to Fox and then ESPN, called St. Louis Cardinals games either solo or together for a combined 55 years.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (May 27, 2022 11:47 am)