sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2022 4:09 pm  #1

2015 Interview With John Derringer Is Both Revealing & Terribly Ironic

Some seven years ago, FYIMusicNews.ca had Bill King do a Q&A with Q107's John Derringer about his show and radio in general. Some of the answers that he gave now stand in somewhat poignant irony, considering what his future appears to be. It's especially sad since he reacted like many of us did when he entered a radio station for the very first time - this is all he ever wanted to do for a living. In his case, that goal appears to be over for good, seemingly at his own hands.

Check out these now cringe-worthy statements the disgraced morning host made back in 2015, which take on an entirely new meaning in the context of the past week. 

"I think many who go “shock jock” — and there are exceptions — are looking for immediate gratification – how do I get my name in the newspaper? Nowadays, it would be – how do I get some social media action going on? Really the best way to do that is offend people. The problem is it doesn’t endear people to you...Being a decent human being in one’s opinion with a world view is a much more valuable ticket to doing that than being funny and sarcastic and just not very nice."

Yikes! Or this little blast from his past:

"Finding people you can really get along with and you don’t have to agree on everything but you do have to know how to present your argument without drowning out the argument of somebody else."

Except, perhaps, if that "somebody else" is female. 

And finally:

"I don’t have to worry about a future anymore because I have found what I want to truly do for the rest of my life...There isn’t a day I don’t go into work happy to be there or look forward to going to work. There is nowhere on earth I’m more comfortable than when I have a mic in front of me."

Considering how talented the man is, that last one is just sad in so many different ways. 

A Conversation with... John Derringer

May 26, 2022 7:02 pm  #2

Re: 2015 Interview With John Derringer Is Both Revealing & Terribly Ironic

Since we're looking in the archive this letter to Frank in 2002 is germane.  I have a copy of this hot-sheet buried in the house somewhere however this photo is copied from Jacqui Delaney twitter.

May 26, 2022 8:56 pm  #3

Re: 2015 Interview With John Derringer Is Both Revealing & Terribly Ironic

I don’t think that JD. Is going to go quietly.