sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2016 8:05 pm  #1

Radio & TV Teasers: Pleasers Or Wheezers?

I was listening to The Rush on 'RB Tuesday afternoon, when I heard the latest in a seemingly endless number of teaser promos, designed to improve Time Spent Listening. 1010 has gone on a tear of late with this idea, regularly promoting both upcoming segments and headlines in the news. (It's a technique that only works sporadically, considering they often wind up discussing the very story they just promoed in the segment before the news, destroying the whole point of hyping it in the first place.)

I bring all this up because I’m beginning to wonder about the effectiveness of all these endless teaser-like promotions and whether they’re actually pissing listeners/viewers off more than keeping them tuned.

I first noticed this in my own home, when I found myself watching CFTO’s Noon News everyday. Why am I choosing CTV over Global, which also has a package of its own at the same time? The answer is that CTV’s nooner doesn’t come with endless promos at the beginning, while Global spends at least a minute telling you what’s coming up – delaying the start of the show. By the time their teasers are over, CFTO is the middle of its lead story. And by then, they usually have my attention.

CFRB’s penchant for this sort of thing is even worse. They exemplify the trend towards confusing teasers and clutter. I heard one today that talked about “people living in 'blank.' And you wouldn’t want to live in 'blank'. We’ll fill in the 'blank' after the news.” By this time, I’m so tired of hearing these cryptic non-stories that I find them irritating. Especially when they head it with the now all-too-common phrase “you won’t believe…”  Turns out in most cases, the actual story doesn’t live up to the hype or I already know about it. Either way, I almost never stay for these supposed ear grabbers. And most of the time, I find I would believe whatever it is.

I say all this as someone who spent more than 15 years writing these things every day for one of the local Toronto TV newscasts. And I was pretty good at them, if I do say so myself. But sometimes you have to put yourself on the other side of the screen/speaker. And I didn’t really like what I saw.

Teasers have their place and almost all stations still use them to one extent or another. But I well remember seeing some research many years ago that stated weather was one of the most important parts of any TV newscast – but that viewers were severely irritated when the forecaster says, “I’ll tell you how much snow and when the roads will be clogged coming up in 20 minutes.”

The general reaction? “Why are you making me wait? You know the information. You’re talking about it this second. Tell me now.” And that was before the Internet was easily accessed.

’RB uses them at the top of every newscast. So does 680. All the TV outlets air them on their 6 PM majors. I often find myself switching elsewhere to just hear an actual full story while the "coming up" and headline litany goes on and on. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

So I’m curious what the assembled minds who congregate here think about the practice of using so many teasers. Do they actually keep you listening/watching for that story they mentioned cryptically off the top? Or do you just go somewhere else, looking for real content while they’re wasting your time? Are they pleasers or wheezers in your book? And does your shop still use them to excess?

They must work, or stations wouldn’t be so insistent on them. But after all these years, God, they’re getting tiresome. And stay tuned, because in 15 minutes, I’ll tell you why. And you won't believe the reason. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 27, 2016 8:11 pm)

September 28, 2016 10:45 pm  #2

Re: Radio & TV Teasers: Pleasers Or Wheezers?

I will tell  you my thoughts a bit later

September 29, 2016 9:00 am  #3

Re: Radio & TV Teasers: Pleasers Or Wheezers?

What drives ME nuts is how some of them tee-up whatever they feel in the most compelling item they have saying that they'll deal with it "N E X T"... ... ...

And then they don't.  CTV National news does it.  CNN does it ALL THE TIME.  It's a dial twister.  And it's dishonestly STUPID.