sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2022 5:24 pm  #1

Appeal Of Higher Internet Rates Coming As Indies Fates Hang In Balance

This is a very sad story, and it may mean many of us will have to start thinking about possibly finding a new Internet provider. As some here are all too aware, almost exactly a year ago, the CRTC came out with an inexplicably stunning decision to deliberately reverse a policy that would have lowered Internet rates for those who subscribe to an independent service, like Teksavvy. 

That allowed those who want to, to bypass the Rogers and Bells of the world. But when CRTC Chair Ian Scott, a former Telus lobbyist, changed the policy, there were fears of what it might bring. And now those Internet chickens appear to be coming home to roost. The smaller indies have filed a desperate appeal for the decision to be reversed. That ruling is expected by the end of this week. 

According to providers like Teksavvy, which claims to have lost some 20% of its customer base since the decision came out, forcing it to jack up rates, nearly all of the independents will go out of business if the appeal goes against them. Most say they are barely hanging on as it is. 

That would leave giants like Bell & Rogers free to jack up rates further, since there would be nowhere else left to go.

Indie internet providers warned for months CRTC decision would kill them — now they’re beginning to disappear

I have to say given the CRTC's previous decisions and the chair's now infamous beer with Bibic, I don't have a lot of hope for this. But I live to be surprised. I'm a very happy Teksavvy subscriber, but being forced to support companies I try never to do business with would be very difficult for me. But I fear the fix has been in for a very long time. 

May 24, 2022 8:09 pm  #2

Re: Appeal Of Higher Internet Rates Coming As Indies Fates Hang In Balance

Bell, Rogers and the CRTC all need to die a fast and painful death... this country would be far better off without these greedy, lying, full-of-themselves assclowns and with a hell of a lot more choice for consumers. And frankly, I don't give a shit if the death of Bell and/or Rogers would kill Canadians' oh-so-precious "retirements" or pensions or whatever - those are NOT important right now. Getting rid of Bell, Rogers and the CRTC *is* actually important.

Oh, and let's add Cogeco to that list - they have increased the price of our Internet/TV/home phone bundle FOUR times in the past 12 months. Completely unacceptable.