sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2022 5:06 pm  #1

Raw Mike Richards Promises Big Announcement About Sauga 960 On Tuesday

Anyone know what this is about? 

May 24, 2022 8:18 am  #2

Re: Raw Mike Richards Promises Big Announcement About Sauga 960 On Tuesday

The big announcement was that Sauga 960 will be airing Hamilton Tiger-Cats games.

Last edited by eladb (May 24, 2022 8:18 am)

May 24, 2022 8:28 am  #3

I guess that's a big coup for this small station. They do already have some play-by-play sports content - The Mississauga Steelheads games and the Raptors 905. But this will be their first, true major league affiliation. 

I did think it was a bit of stretch though, when Richards told the audience that Mississauga and points west was the "border" between where the Argos and the Ti-Cats fans are. Still, good for Sauga 960. I suppose it means if the Cats ever get to the final, Sauga 960 could conceivably be broadcasting the Grey Cup. 

May 24, 2022 8:54 am  #4

In a case of bad timing, the  player's association has turned down the league's most recent offer. There may be no games to broadcast.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8864211/cfl-cflpa-collective-bargaining-agreement-rejected/

RadioActive wrote:

I guess that's a big coup for this small station. They do already have some play-by-play sports content - The Mississauga Steelheads games and the Raptors 905. But this will be their first, true major league affiliation. 

I did think it was a bit of stretch though, when Richards told the audience that Mississauga and points west was the "border" between where the Argos and the Ti-Cats fans are. Still, good for Sauga 960. I suppose it means if the Cats ever get to the final, Sauga 960 could conceivably be broadcasting the Grey Cup. 

May 24, 2022 9:36 am  #5

Eventually that labour dispute will be settled and then things will get back to normal. I would be surprised if they lose the entire season - neither side can afford that. 

I'm not sure who carries the Ti-Cats on radio these days. Is it still 1150, even though they're no longer TSN? Or is it CHML, their longtime home? If it's the latter, Sauga 960's rights acquirement won't mean much - 1150's signal is stronger than its Mississauga counterpart!

If it's 'ML, then the deal makes more sense. It's never come in well in Toronto, being aimed the other way. I've always been amazed how a full powered station just a stone's throw from here has such a terrible signal into this city. It comes in great in New York City at night, but in the GTA right next door, you can barely hear it.

May 24, 2022 10:19 am  #6

So it is CHML, as evidenced by Sauga960's new Tiger-Cats page. The first pre-season game is scheduled to air on Saturday afternoon against the Alouettes. 

May 24, 2022 6:48 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Still, good for Sauga 960. I suppose it means if the Cats ever get to the final, Sauga 960 could conceivably be broadcasting the Grey Cup. 

Local broadcasters don't necessarily get to air the Grey Cup. It is a different package of rights. Ti-Cats are usually on CHML nowadays, however their Grey Cup loss at home in 2021 was carried by CKLH. 

May 25, 2022 8:27 am  #8

eladb wrote:

The big announcement was that Sauga 960 will be airing Hamilton Tiger-Cats games.

Really? THIS was the big secret announcement? The cat was already out of the bag, this was on the ti-cats website two weeks ago: https://ticats.ca/article/ticats-audio-network-announces-2022-broadcast-lineup

But on a positive note, I was listening leading up to the 'announcement'. Richards was talking about the Jays, and it was a refreshing change to hear sports talk that wasn't just two hosts reading off a stat sheet, there was some actual substance to the discussion. Good job Richards, I'll definitely be tuning in again.