sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2022 9:38 am  #1

The Place Where You Can See A 1.5 Million Watt Transmitter

I've never been to Cincinnati, but if I ever manage to get there, this is one place I'd like to visit: it's a museum dedicated to the Voice of America in the exact building where it broadcast for the very first time during WWII. A lot of the equipment that powered the place is still there, including an amazing 1.5 million watt transmitter (pictured below) that was used to send the signal around the world. 

"At the time, WLW broadcast with 500,000 watts of power, the most ever licensed. And Crosley, who also operated a commercial shortwave broadcast station, had access to the engineers, technicians and equipment that could give the Voice of America the ocean-spanning reach it needed. 

"That world-wide reach was achieved with 1.5 million watts of power produced by six state-of-the-art transmitters, each the size of three city buses."

Voice of America broadcast center, now a museum, countered Nazi propaganda from Cincinnati suburb

May 24, 2022 12:43 pm  #2

Re: The Place Where You Can See A 1.5 Million Watt Transmitter

I just really want to see the inards of the CN Tower.....then my radio/tv life would be complete.