sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2022 10:29 am  #1

Broadcaster Owns Unique Oldies Station That Refuses To Play The Hits

A number of years ago, SOWNY and Rock Radio Scrapbook founder Dale Patterson started an online radio station called "Oh Wow! The Songs Radio Forgot." It's dedicated to the songs you either never hear anymore but did well on the charts or were in the middle of the pack and disappeared. 

It's a great station and I know it's a labour of love for him. You can find it here

As it turns out, he has competition, and in this case, from a real live over-the-air radio station owned and programmed by a veteran host. Rollye James has had talk shows on 50K flamethrower stations like WPHT Philadelphia and WGN Chicago (where I believe she's still on at night.). She ran a very unusual show, and often turned from politics to rock and roll. It was clear even then she wanted to run her own station.

And now she does. It's called KJAA, located in the small town of Globe, Arizona. What's unique about the 1240 AM frequency is that the playlist is deliberately made up of songs you never hear on the air anymore. Or have never heard at all. Call it obscure oldies. 

I've been listening to it as I type this and have heard a few songs I'm totally unfamiliar with as well as a few that I do know, but rarely get played. And that's the entire philosophy of "Jukebox 1240." Rollye does all the liners, as you'd expect, although it doesn't appear anyone is on live. From listening to her in various places on the dial over the years, I know she's obsessed with oldies and has always wanted to run a station of her own. 

This is that vanity project/realization of the dream and I doubt it makes very much money. If I had one complaint, it's that no one says what's playing, a literal "jukebox" as the name implies. So an obscure song remains just that, with no idea who's singing or the title. 

But despite that shortcoming, it's still worth a quick listen if you're curious to hear how a maverick broadcaster programs the station she said she always wanted to own. 

Jukebox 1240 Online 

May 23, 2022 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Broadcaster Owns Unique Oldies Station That Refuses To Play The Hits

RadioActive wrote:

This is that vanity project/realization of the dream and I doubt it makes very much money. If I had one complaint, it's that no one says what's playing, a literal "jukebox" as the name implies. So an obscure song remains just that, with no idea who's singing or the title.

Shazam. It’s an app you can add to your phone, tablet, whatever. Whenever you hear a song in real time, you
simply punch the icon on your device and allow it open. In mere seconds, it’ll ‘Name That Tune.’
Handy little bugger.

May 23, 2022 2:07 pm  #3

Shazam is tied in with Apple Music. It can cost after a free trial of some sort, depending on your
particular circumstances/small print. (Ya gotta be a lawyer, these days.)

I just downloaded SoundHound, which does the same thing devastatingly fast. Still checking the
details on both. Valerie has had Shazam on her phone for years. Hasn’t cost her anything, yet.

May 23, 2022 2:28 pm  #4

It really is amazing how fast it is.

I have noticed that it occasionally getsthe artist incorrect when cover versions exist.

mike marshall wrote:

Shazam is tied in with Apple Music. It can cost after a free trial of some sort, depending on your
particular circumstances/small print. (Ya gotta be a lawyer, these days.)

I just downloaded SoundHound, which does the same thing devastatingly fast. Still checking the
details on both. Valerie has had Shazam on her phone for years. Hasn’t cost her anything, yet.